Regents of the University of California
The Regents of the University of California make up the governing board of the University of California. The Board has 26 full (i.e., voting) members:
- The majority (18 Regents) are appointed via nomination by the Governor of California, and confirmation by the California State Senate, to 12-year terms.
- One Student Regent is appointed by the Board for a one-year term.
- The remaining 7 Regents are ex officio members. They are the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Speaker of the State Assembly, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, president and vice president of the Alumni Associations of UC, and president of the University of California.
The Board also has two non-voting faculty representatives. The incoming Student Regent serves as a non-voting Regent-designate from the date of selection (usually between July and October) until beginning his or her formal term the following July 1.
The vast majority of the Regents appointed by the Governor historically have consisted of lawyers, politicians and businessmen. Over the past two decades, it has been common that UC Regents appointees have donated relatively large sums of money either directly to the Governor's election campaigns or indirectly to party election groups.
As with almost all other public university systems nationwide, the board of regents is treated as the real party in interest for all purposes under California law. All actions of the university are done in their name, all degrees are conferred in their name, all UC property is held in their name (and is marked by signs indicating "Property of the Regents of the University of California"), all bank accounts are held in their name (and all checks must be written as payable to "UC Regents"), and all lawsuits involving the University always refer specifically to the regents. This is notable because most corporations (especially private ones) are treated by the law as a legal entity separate from their boards and employees, and lawsuits against them are addressed to the corporation or university itself, not its board of directors or trustees.
Administrative support is provided to the Regents by the Office of the Secretary of the Regents of the University of California, which shares an office building with the UC Office of the President in Oakland.
In July 2013, The University of California’s governing board confirmed Sadia Saifuddin as Student Regent-Designate. In July 2014 she became a Student Regent. Abraham "Avi" Oved was appointed Student Regent-Designate by the Regents in July 2014.
- Appointed by Gov. Wilson:
- Russell S. Gould (provisional appointment made by Gov. Wilson in June 1998; served as a Regent from July 1998 to January 1999 without being confirmed by the senate; nomination withdrawn by newly elected Gov. Davis in Jan. 1999; appointed by Gov. Schwarzenegger in 2005; term expires March 1, 2017)
- Appointed by Gov. Davis:
- Sherry L. Lansing (appointed 1999; reappointed 2010; term expires March 1, 2022)
- Monica Lozano (appointed 2001; resigned 2013; reappointed in 2014 by Jerry Brown, reappointment confirmed on Aug. 22, 2014, term expires March 1, 2022)
- Norman J. Pattiz (appointed 2001; reappointed 2003; reappointed in 2014 by Jerry Brown, reappointment confirmed on Aug. 22, 2014, term expires March 1, 2026)
- Richard C. Blum (appointed 2002; reappointed in 2014 by Jerry Brown, reappointment confirmed on Aug. 22, 2014, term expires March 1, 2026)
- Appointed by Gov. Schwarzenegger:
- Frederick Ruiz (Vice Chair) (appointed 2004; term expires March 1, 2016)
- Paul Wachter (appointed 2004; term expires March 1, 2016)
- Eddie Island (appointed 2005; term expires March 1, 2017)
- William De La Peña, M.D. (appointed 2006; term expires March 1, 2018)
- Bruce D. Varner (Chairman) (appointed 2006; term expires March 1, 2018)
- Bonnie Reiss (appointed 2008; term expires March 1, 2020)
- Hadi Makarechian (appointed 2008; term expires March 1, 2020)
- Charlene Zettel (appointed 2009; term expires March 1, 2021)
- George Kieffer (appointed 2009; term expires March 1, 2021)
- Appointed by Gov. Brown:
- Richard Sherman (appointed in 2014 by Jerry Brown, appointment confirmed on Aug. 22, 2014, term expires March 1, 2025)
- Student Regent
- Sadia Saifuddin (term expires June 30, 2015)
- To be appointed by Gov. Brown:
- John Pérez (appointed 2014)
- Eloy Ortiz Oakley (appointed 2014)
- Ex-Officio Regents
- Jerry Brown (Governor)
- Gavin Newsom (Lieutenant Governor)
- Toni Atkins (Assembly Speaker)
- Tom Torlakson (Superintendent of Public Instruction)
- Janet Napolitano (UC President)
- Sheldon Engelhorn (President, Alumni Associations of UC, 2014–2015)
- Karen Leong Clancy (Vice-President, Alumni Associations of UC, 2014–2015)
- Regents-Designate are non-voting participants who are scheduled to transition to full board membership at later date.
- Rodney Davis (given designate-status July 1, 2014; designate-status expires June 30, 2015)
- Yolanda Gorman (given designate-status July 1, 2014; designate-status expires June 30, 2015)
- Abraham (Avi) Oved (given student regent designate-status July 16, 2014; designate-status expires June 30, 2015)
Faculty Representatives to The Regents
- Faculty Representatives to The Regents non-voting participants who are also assigned as representatives to certain committees.
Notable past Regents
- Gerry Parsky (1996-2008)
- John J. Moores (1999–2007)
- David S. Lee (1994–2006)
- Ward Connerly (1993–2005)
- Dolores Huerta (2003-2004)
- Howard H. Leach (1990–2001)
- Clair Burgener (1988–1997)
- John F. Henning (1989–1997)
- Tirso del Junco (1985-1997)
- Willis Harman (1980–1990)
- William French Smith (1968–1990)
- Sheldon Andelson (1982–1987)
- Janice Eberly (1985–1986)
- Gregory Bateson (1976–1980)
- William Coblentz (1964-1980)
- Yvonne Burke (1979)
- Fred Dutton (1962–1978)
- William M. Roth (1961–1977)
- Elinor Raas Heller (1961–1976)
- Norton Simon (1960–1976)
- Edwin W. Pauley (1940–1972)
- Dorothy Buffum Chandler (1954–1968)
- H. R. Haldeman (President, AAUC, 1965–1967; 1968)
- William E. Forbes (1960-1961, 1962)
- Thomas M. Storke (1955–1960)
- John Francis Neylan (1928–1955)
- Stanley Mosk (1940–1941)
- Paul Peek (1939–1940)
- William H. Crocker (1908–1937)
- William John Cooper (1927-1929)
- Phoebe Hearst (1897–1919)
- Charles Stetson Wheeler (1892–1896), (1902–1907), (1911–1923)
- Leland Stanford (1882–1883)
- Timothy Guy Phelps (1880–1899)
- Benjamin B. Redding (1880–1882)
- Peter Preuss (1994-1995, 1996-2008, 2011–2012)
- Odessa P. Johnson (1999-2012)
- Joanne C. Kozberg (1998-2010)
- Judith L. Hopkinson (1999-2009)
- Velma K. Montoya (1994-2005)
- Thomas S. Sayles (1994-2006)
- John G. Davies (1992-2004)
- William T. Bagley (1989-2002)
- S. Sue Johnson (1988-1989, 1990-2002)
- S. Stephen Nakashima (1989-2001)
- Frank W. Clark, Jr. (1980-2000)
In its early years, UC had thirteen Honorary Regents, with ten appointed in 1868. "Honorary Regents" were full board members, with the word "Honorary" simply denoting their manner of selection (that is, they were elected to serve on the board by the other board members, instead of being appointed by the governor). Some were then appointed to another term, following their term as Honorary Regent, by the governor. One (Tompkins) was re-elected.
- Frederick Low (1868), 9th Governor of California from 1863 to 1867; considered the "father of the University of California"
- Andrew J. Moulder (1868), State Superintendent of Public Instruction, 1862–1863; a founder of Minns’ Evening Normal School in San Francisco in 1857 and of the first California State Normal School in San Jose, approved by the Legislature in 1862
- Edward Tompkins (1868–1872)
- Samuel F. Butterworth (1868–1873)
- Joseph M. Moss (1868–1874)
- William Chapman Ralston (1868–1875), founder of the Bank of California
- John B. Felton (1868–1877)
- Isaac Friedlander (1868–1869)
- Augustus J. Bowie (1868–1880)
- John S. Hager (1868–1890), California State Senator and district judge; United States Senator from California (1873–1875)
- Louis Sachs (1869–1875)
- Henry H. Haight (1872), 10th Governor of California; signed the Charter of the University of California on March 23, 1868
- Andrew Smith Hallidie (1873), "regarded as the inventor of the cable car and father of the present day San Francisco cable car system"; President of the San Francisco Mechanics' Institute 1868–1877 and 1893–1895
- Regents of the University of California--Biographies, UC History Digital Archives (UC Regents from 1868 to 2003).
- UC Regents, official list, 1868 to 2013
- Government of California
- University of California Students Association
- Student Regents
- Regents of the University of California v. Bakke
- Tarasoff v. Regents of the University of California
- Moore v. Regents of the University of California
- USL v. BSDi
- Hamilton v. Regents of the University of California
- Brian Pusser and Imanol Ordorika (2001) Bringing political theory to university governance, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México,
- Regent's Fact Sheet
- 2008 Meet the Regents article
- California Code of Civil Procedure Section 367 requires that all civil actions must be prosecuted in the name of the "real party in interest, except as otherwise provided by statute."
- One of the few exceptions to this rule is in Kentucky, where actions against public universities can be brought in the institution's own name (but can also be brought against the board). See, e.g., Mitchell v. University of Kentucky et al., 2010-SC-000762-TG, Supreme Court of Kentucky, April 26, 2012.
- Bazar, Emily (1998). Davis Prepares to Reshape UC Board — Appointments Could Prompt New Look at Old Controversies. The Sacramento Bee (December 21, 1998), p. A1.
- Maxwell, Lesli A. (2005). Governor picks two for UC regents board — Bank president and businesswoman face Senate confirmation. The Sacramento Bee (September 14, 2005), p. A3.
- Marimow, Ann E. (2005). In Close Company — Governor, Chamber Chief Align, Raise Funds. Contra Costa Times (February 20, 2005), p. A1.
- "Regent Sherry L. Lansing". 2011-11-10. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- "Regent Bruce D. Varner". 2012-03-08. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- "Regent Sheldon Engelhorn". Biographies. Regents of the University of California. July 1, 2014. Retrieved Aug 26, 2014.
- "Regent Karen Leong Clancy". Biographies. Regents of the university of California. July 1, 2014. Retrieved Aug 26, 2014.
- "The Regents of the University of California Through the Years". Days of Cal. The Bancroft Library. 1997 (last updated 2004). Retrieved September 5, 2009. Check date values in:
- Regents of the University of California--Historical Overview UC History Digital Archives.
- Schaechtele, Molly Shoemaker. "Frederick Low". The Governors of California and their Portraits (excerpt). California State Capitol Museum Volunteer Association. Retrieved September 6, 2009.
- "California State Normal School History, 1862-1889". Historical Sketch of the State Normal School at San Jose, California,. State Printing Office. 1889 [transcribed by Pamela Storm and Ron Filion]. Retrieved 2012-01-24. Check date values in:
- Former Regents are listed chronologically at UC Berkeley's history site
- "Biographies". Regents of the University of California. September 1, 2009. Retrieved September 5, 2009.
- UC Regents, Members and Advisors
- Trombley, William. 1974. UC Regents: An Elite Club That Runs a Vast University. Los Angeles Times (Sunday, June 23, 1974), pages II-1, II-7, II-8.
- UC Democracy Project
- 2008 Meet the Regents article
- The UCSB Disorientation Guide's article on the UC Regents