Reginald West, 6th Baron De La Warr
|Reginald West, 6th Baron De La Warr|
Richard West, 7th Baron De La Warr
|Noble family||De La Warr|
|Father||Thomas West, 1st Baron West|
|Mother||Joan La Warre|
|Born||5 or 7 September 1395|
|Died||27 August 1450|
Reginald West, 6th Baron De La Warr and 3rd Baron West (5 or 7 September 1395 – 27 August 1450) was the second son of Thomas West, 1st Baron West (d. 19 April 1405) and Joan La Warre (d. 24 April 1404), widow of Ralph de Wilington (d. 16 August 1382) of Sandhurst, Gloucestershire, and daughter of Roger La Warr, 3rd Baron De La Warr (d. 27 August 1370), by his second wife, Eleanor Mowbray, daughter of John de Mowbray, 3rd Baron Mowbray. He had an elder brother, Thomas West, 2nd Baron West, a younger brother, John, and a sister Joan, who married firstly Richard Delabere and secondly William Catesby. He inherited the title of Baron West when his brother Thomas West, 2nd Baron West, was accidentally killed at sea on 29 or 30 September 1416, and the title Baron De La Warr in 1427 at the death of his uncle, Thomas la Warr, 5th Baron De La Warr (d. 7 May 1427).
He was summoned to Parliament from 15 July 1427 to 3 August 1429 as Reginaldo la Warre chivaler, and from 25 February 1432 to 23 September 1439 as Reginaldo West chivaler. In October 1427 he petitioned the King and Council 'that he might sit in Parliament with the precedence held by his ancestors, Lords la Warre, who had continually attended Parliament since 27 Edward I'.
In 1430 and 1431 he was in France with the King. In 1435 he was appointed Justice of the Peace for Sussex. On 10 December 1446 he had licence to travel to Rome with a retinue of 24 servants, and in 13 December had similar licence to travel to the Holy Land. On 14 October 1448 he was to have gone abroad 'on the King's affairs'.
Marriages and issue
West married firstly, before 17 February 1429, Margaret Thorley, daughter of Robert Thorley, esquire, of Tybeste, Cornwall, and his first wife, Anne de la Pole, widow of Sir Gerard de Lisle, and daughter of Michael de la Pole, 1st Earl of Suffolk, by whom he had two sons and five daughters:
- Richard West, 7th Baron De La Warr, who married Katherine Hungerford.
- Roger West.
- Anne West (c.1426), who married Sir Maurice Berkeley (d. 5 May 1474) of Beverston Castle, Gloucestershire, by whom she had a son, Sir William Berkeley, who married Katherine Stourton, and a daughter, Katherine Berkeley, who married John Stourton, 3rd Baron Stourton.
- Margaret West (c.1424), who married Sir Thomas Echingham (d. 20 January 1486) of Etchingham, Sussex, by whom she had three daughters.
- Elizabeth West, who married William de Berkeley, 1st Marquess of Berkeley (d. 14 February 1492), by whom she had no issue, and from whom she was divorced in 1467.
- Mary West (d. 24 July 1473), who married, as his second wife, Sir Roger Lewknor (d. 4 August 1478) of Broadhurst in Horsted Keynes, Sussex, by whom she had three sons.
- Katherine West, who married Roger Hungerford.
- John West of Waith, (c. 1432), who married Eleanor Neville, thus establishing another important connection for the family.
He married secondly, before 19 November 1443, Elizabeth Greyndour (d. 1 September 1452), daughter and heir of Robert Greyndour (d.1443), esquire, of Clearwell, Gloucestershire, by whom he had no issue. After West's death, his widow married John Tiptoft, 1st Earl of Worcester, who was beheaded on Tower Hill 18 October 1470.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1916). The Complete Peerage, edited by H.A. Doubleday IV. London: St. Catherine Press. pp. 152–4. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G., ed. Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families I (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. pp. 182–3. ISBN 1449966373.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G., ed. Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families II (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. pp. 102, 173–4. ISBN 1449966381.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G., ed. Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families III (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. pp. 19–20. ISBN 144996639X.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G., ed. Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families IV (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. pp. 317–19. ISBN 1460992709.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (March 2014)|
|Reginald West, 6th Baron de la Warr||Father:
Thomas West, 1st Baron West
Sir Thomas West
Sir Thomas West
(first cousin of William de Cantelou and daughter of Margaret de Mohun, descendant of William de Mohun)
Either Edmund Fitzherbert or Reginald Fitzherbert
Joan la Warr
Roger la Warr, 3rd Baron la Warr
John la Warr
(daughter of Robert de Holand and half-sister of Thomas Holland, 1st Earl of Kent)
John de Mowbray, 3rd Baron Mowbray
Joan of Lancaster
|Peerage of England|
Thomas la Warr
|Baron De La Warr