Regional council (Israel)
|This article is part of the series:
Politics and government of
Regional councils (Hebrew: מועצה אזורית, Mo'atza Azorit) are one of the three types of local government entities found in Israel and Israeli-administered territories, with the other two being cities and local councils. As of 2003, there were 53 regional councils, usually responsible for governing a number of settlements spread across rural areas. Regional councils include representation of anywhere between 3 and 54 communities, usually spread over a relatively large area within geographical vicinity of each other.
Each community within a regional council usually does not exceed 2000 in population and is managed by a local committee. This committee sends representatives to the administering regional council proportionate to their size of membership and according to an index which is fixed before each election. Those settlements without an administrative council do not send any representatives to the regional council, instead being dealt by it directly. Representatives from those settlements which are represented directly are either chosen directly or through an election. The predomenant form of community represented on regional councils are kibbutzim and moshavim.
List of regional councils
Former regional councils
- Herzog, Hanna. Gendering Politics: Women in Israel. University of Michigan Press. p. 22.
- Mahler, Gregory S. Politics and Government in Israel: The Maturation of a Modern State. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 229.
- Troen, Selwyn Ilan; Noah Lucas. Israel: The First Decade of Independence. SUNY Press. p. 496.
- "Table 2.13 - Localities and Population, by Municipal Status and District". Israel Central Bureau of Statistics. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
- Resolution 446, Resolution 465, Resolution 484, among others
- "Applicability of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949, to the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including Jerusalem, and the other occupied Arab territories". United Nations. 17 December 2003. Retrieved 2006-09-27.
- "Legal Consequences of the Construction of a Wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory". International Court of Justice. 9 July 2004. Retrieved 2006-09-27.
- "Implementation of the Fourth Geneva Convention in the occupied Palestinian territories: history of a multilateral process (1997-2001)". International Review of the Red Cross. International Committee of the Red Cross. 30 September 2002. Retrieved 2012-10-11.
- "The Geneva Convention". BBC News. 10 December 2009. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
- Local Government in Israel. The Knesset Lexicon of Terms. 2009