|Full name||Rehan Jahangir Poncha|
3 August 1986 |
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||68 kg (150 lb)|
|Stroke(s)||Backstroke, butterfly, medley|
Rehan Jahangir Poncha (Hindi: रेहान जहांगीर पोंचा; born August 3, 1986 in Karnataka) is an Indian swimmer, who specialized in backstroke, butterfly, and individual medley events. He is a 5-time Indian swimming champion, and a 6-time record holder in the butterfly (both 100 and 200 m). Poncha also set two of his records in the freestyle and medley relays at the 2009 Asian Swimming Championships in Foshan, China, along with his teammates Sandeep Sejwal, Virdhawal Khade, and Aaron D'Souza.
Poncha qualified for the men's 200 m butterfly at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, by clearing a FINA B-standard entry time of 2:01.40 from the Telstra Grand Prix in Sydney, Australia. He edged out Peru's Emmanuel Crescimbeni to take a second spot in heat 1 by 0.24 of a second in 2:01.89. Poncha failed to advance into the semifinals, as he placed fortieth overall in the preliminaries.
- "Rehan Poncha". Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- "Rehan Poncha, Richa Mishra the best". The Hindu. 11 October 2009. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- "Sejwal rues missing out on a silver medal at Asian swimming". The Indian Express. 2 December 2009. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- "Rehan Poncha confident of putting good performance in Beijing". Oneindia.in. 9 July 2008. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Poncha crosses Olympic 'B' qualifying mark in Sydney event". Outlook India. 5 July 2008. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Men's 200m Butterfly Heat 1". Beijing 2008. NBC Olympics. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
|This biographical article related to an Indian swimmer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|