Tenerife South Airport
Aeropuerto de Tenerife Sur
Tenerife Sur/Reina Sofía Airport
|IATA: TFS – ICAO: GCTS|
|Operator||Aeropuertos Españoles y Navegación Aérea|
|Location||Granadilla de Abona, Spain|
|Elevation AMSL||64 m / 209 ft|
|Passenger change 12-13||2.0%|
|Movements change 12-13||0.4%|
|Sources: Passenger Traffic, AENA
Spanish AIP, AENA
Tenerife South Airport (IATA: TFS, ICAO: GCTS), previously known as Tenerife South-Reina Sofia Airport, is one of two international airports located on the island of Tenerife, the largest of the Canary Islands (the second one being Tenerife North Airport). The airport is the busier of the two Tenerife airports.
The airport is located in the municipality of Granadilla de Abona and was inaugurated on 6 November 1978, by Queen Sofía of Spain, to whom the airport is dedicated; by the end of its first year, 1 million passengers had passed through its doors.
The public bus service TITSA offers cheap and quick services to all parts of the island, Line 343 connects the South Airport (TFS) with the North Airport (TFN)
Tenerife South handled over 8.5 million passengers in 2012. Combined with Tenerife North Airport, the island gathers the highest passenger movement in the Canary Islands with 12,248,673 passengers.
In the late 1960s, the island authorities of Tenerife said they needed a new airport at a new location as the existing airport did not meet technical requirements due to adverse weather conditions.
The airport was opened by Queen Sofía on 6 November 1978. The first flight was an Iberia running flight IB187 from Lanzarote, which was operated by a McDonnell Douglas DC-9. The flight landed at 10:17.
Airlines and destinations
Destinations by airline served from Tenerife South Airport:
|10||Newcastle upon Tyne||172,512|
|Updated: 2 March 2014.|
|Passengers||Aircraft movements||Cargo (tonnes)|
|Source: Aena Statistics|
- "AENA passenger statistics and aircraft movements". Aena.es. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Spanish AIP (AENA)". Aena.es. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "History Tenerife South Airport". Aena.es. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Airports of the World connected with: Tenerife". Aena.es. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Аэрофлот начинает полеты на Тенерифе". Новости. Aeroflot. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- "Thomson Airways current flight timetable". Flights.thomson.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Thomas Cook Airlines current flight timetable". Book.flythomascook.com. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Tenerife South Airport passengers statistics". Aena.es. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
Media related to Tenerife South Airport at Wikimedia Commons