19 June 1975 |
Shepherd's Bush, London, England
|Education||MSc Economic Development|
|Alma mater||School of Oriental and African Studies|
Waheed was born in Shepherd's Bush, London, England to parents of Bangladeshi origin. She completed her MSc in Economic Development at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, and during her time there she held the position of treasurer of the Islamic Society. Whilst pursuing her passion for writing she travelled the world as a Corporate Consultant. However, she soon caught the attention of a literary agent delivering public readings at the Harrow Writers’ club.
In October 2005, Waheed published her debut novel “The A-Z Guide to Arranged Marriage.” In April 2010, she published her second novel “Saris and the City”, followed by her third novel “Master of Poverty” in June 2010, and then her fourth novel “My Bollywood Wedding” in December 2010. Her distinct style has been described as bridging the gap between old world traditions with new world savvy.
In June 2005, Waheed co-founded Monsoon Press Publisher with Rabina Khan. Through Monsoon Press, she is also working with the Arts Council and Penguin to raise the profile of British Ethnic and Muslim literature. She has previously worked as a columnist for Bangla Mirror and sat on the board of Women in Publishing. In addition, she has worked voluntarily as a treasurer for a Bengali community organisation. She is currently represented by MBA Literary Agency.
In 2006, Waheed read at the London Literacy Event. In 2007, she read at the Spitalfields Literacy Event. In 2006, she was cited by Asian Woman magazine as one of the “Faces to Watch” and one of the fastest rising British Asians in media. She is regular guest on BBC Asian Network, women’s programmes, and literary and social events to debate social issues affecting British Asians in the west.
|2005||The A-Z Guide to Arranged Marriage||Monsoon Press||ISBN 978-0755215003|
|2010||Saris and the City||Little Black Dress||ISBN 978-0755356133|
|Master of Poverty||Perfect Publishers Ltd||ISBN 978-1905399505|
|My Bollywood Wedding||Little Black Dress||ISBN 978-0755356140|
- British Bangladeshi
- List of British Bangladeshis
- List of English writers
- List of Muslim writers and poets
- "Waheed, Ms Rekha". British Bangladeshi Who's Who 2008. British Bangla Media Group. October 2008. p. 224. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- "Rekha Waheed - The A-Z Guide to Arranged Marriage". Amazon.co.uk. 27 October 2005. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- "Saris and the City by Rekha Waheed". LBD News. 12 February 2010. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- "Rekha Waheed - Saris and the City". goodreads. 15 April 2010. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- "Master of Poverty". Amazon.co.uk. 5 June 2010. Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- "My Bollywood Wedding". Amazon.co.uk. 9 December 2010. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- "'The veil should not be a barrier between women'". Abu Dhabi: The National. 29 August 2009. p. 4. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Book week: Profile - Rabina Khan". Abu Dhabi: Asians In Media. 14 September 2007. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Behind the Hijab". Silsila Productions. 27 October 2005. Retrieved 18 September 2011. Rekha Waheed
- "Rekha Waheed". Fantastic Fiction. 27 October 2007. Retrieved 18 September 2011.