|public company BSE: 532631 (NSE: RELMEDIA)|
|Venkatesh Roddam (CEO)|
|Revenue||₹8.5 billion (US$130 million) (2011)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||BIG Cinemas, BIG Synergy, Lowry Digital & Reliance Mediaworks UK|
Reliance MediaWorks Limited (RMW) is a Film and Entertainment Services Company and a member of the Reliance Group.
The company is one of India's leading film and entertainment services companies with a presence across several media businesses including the theatrical exhibition of films, television content production and distribution, and film and media services. The company facilities have been MPAA certified. Services provided by the company include Motion Picture Processing and DI, Digital Distribution, Audio Restoration and Image Enhancement, 2D to 3D conversion, Digital Master, Studios and Equipment rentals, Visual Effects, Animation and Post Production for TV Advertisements. RMW's operations are spread across India, UK and the US.
Reliance MediaWorks operates BIG Cinemas, one of India's largest cinema chains with over 425 screens in both India and the United States, catering to 55 million customers worldwide.
In 2008, RMW acquired a 100% stake in Lowry Digital, a renowned image restoration and enhancement services company based in Burbank, California. Working on projects such as Avatar, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and The Social Network, RMW’s Burbank branch developed working relationships with Hollywood studios.
RMW also began to restore approximately 1,000 films from the National Film Archive of India.
On the 40th anniversary of the moon landing in 16 July 2009, NASA tasked RMW to restore original video footage of the missing Apollo moon landing tapes. Neil Armstrong expressed his appreciation, stating that "your restored video is now a valuable contribution to space exploration and space communication history…thanks for all you did beyond the call of duty. Our grandchildren and their grandchildren will benefit."
In early 2010, RMW acquired iLAB UK, a film processing and post production facility located in Soho, London.
By May 2010, the company commissioned a Media BPO in Airoli, Mumbai in order to handle projects exclusively for international clientele. RMW’s Airoli facility was utilized to initiate a 2D-to-3D conversion BPO, an Animation studio and a VFX setup. The Airoli office also housed an image restoration facility where the company continued to work on restoring films from the National Film Archive of India.
The company expanded its offerings to their domestic clientele, commencing an equipment rental facility for cameras, lights and grips, and establishing a post facility for broadcast television clients in Mumbai’s western suburbs. Projects they catered to included Dus Ka Dum, Jhalak Dikhla Ja and Femina Miss India.
In September, RMW created a VFX setup for India’s domestic film market in their Film City Office.
By December, a team of artists were recruited to cater specifically for international clients in their Airoli office.
Towards the end of 2010, RMW received an award in Creativity and Innovation from the Hollywood Post Alliance.
In early 2011, RMW commissioned one of Mumbai’s largest indoor sound stages.
In March 2011, RMW received a patent called "Obsidian" for creating a method fo removing semi-transparent artifacts from digital images caused by contaminants in the camera’s optical path. This process received a significant amount of recognition within the entertainment industry, resulting in RMW receiving a Scientific and Technical Oscar from The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
RMW delved deeper into 3D film consulting, providing support during film shoots and advising filmmakers on 3D image alignments.
By the end of year, the company had provided post production services for 110 out of 114 Bollywood films that released in 2011.
In September 2012, RMW along with China’s Galloping Horse acquired post production assets from Digital Domain, a legendary Hollywood studio founded by James Cameron. The takeover (known as Digital Domain v 3.0) allowed RMW to participate in projects such as Amazing Spiderman, Transformers 3, John Carter, The Smurfs, Green Lantern and Enders Game.
By 2013, Reliance MediaWorks expanded its business by teaming with a variety of production companies as equity investors. Hiring Academy Award winning George Murphy as the company’s Chief Creative Officer in April 2013, RMW signed multimillion dollar deals with Ethyrea Films and Random Cow.
In August 2013 RMW signed award winning director Vadim Perelman as their Creative Director in India. Perelman will be leading RMW’s creative team, conceptualizing television commercials for Indian clients. The following month, the company tied up with Turner International India for post production services of its entertainment channels.
In 2014, Reliance Mediaworks and Prime Focus joined hands to create a global film and media services powerhouse.
• RMW received an Oscar in Scientific and Technical excellence from the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences in 2012 for its development of a unique and efficient system for "Reduction of noise and other disturbances", thereby providing high quality images required in the film-making process.
• RMW’s Burbank Image Processing facility was one of the four companies to be recognized by the Hollywood Post Alliance for their Creativity and Innovation for Post Production Award in 2010.
• RMW Studios was rated amongst the top 10 International studios in the 2012 international survey conducted by The Hollywood Reporter.
• RMW’s Processing Lab is the only lab in India to have won the National Awards for Best Cinematography 15 times.
Recent Film Credits
Don 2 – 3 D Conversion
Conan The Barbarian – 3D Conversion and VFX
Expendables 2 – VFX
G.I. Joe: Retaliation – VFX
Star Wars Trilogy – Restoration and 3D Conversion
The Conspirator – VFX
Rock of Ages – VFX
Paranoia - VFX
Chennai Express - VFX
- "BSE Plus". Bseindia.com. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- Diwaskar Chettri. "Reliance MediaWorks Acquires London Based ilab". MediaNama. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- Phoenix Big Cinemas. Phoenixtheatres.com (2012-09-30). Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- Reliance Big Entertainment - Adlabs. Rbe.co.in (2008-09-05). Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- Reliance MediaWorks: To restore and beyond, Variety, April 2011
- Reliance's Lowry Digital enhance images for AVATAR, 9 March 2010
- Testimonials. Reliance Media Works. Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- Reliance Mediaworks buys Ilab in UK, Reuters, 8 Jan 2010
- Reliance MediaWorks’ ‘Lowry Process’ wins Technical Oscar, Dear Cinema, 10 January 2012
- Digital Domain to be partly owned by Reliance MediaWorks, Business Standard, 24 September 2012
- India's Reliance MediaWorks Names VFX Veteran George Murphy Creative Head, The Hollywood Reporter, 9 April 2013
- Ethyrea Films Announces Multi-Million Dollar Deal with Reliance MediaWorks. Indiaprwire.com. Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- Random Cow Pictures And Reliance MediaWoks To Deliver Mega 3D Theatrical | Box Office India : India’s premier film trade magazine. Box Office India (2013-03-18). Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- India's Reliance MediaWorks Names Vadim Perelman Creative Director, The Hollywood Reporter, 6 August 2013
- Turner ties up with Reliance MediaWorks for post-production, The Business Standard, 30 September 2013
- Reliance Mediaworks' image-processing technique bags Oscar, Business Today, 9 January 2012