||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014)|
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
|Genres||R&B, neo soul|
|Labels||Motown, Universal Music|
Shand was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba to Doug and Lana Shand. His father was of Scottish/English descent and his mother was of Italian descent. By the age of 12, Shand had learned to play the guitar and acoustic bass. While many people during the 1980s and 1990s were influenced by early hip hop and pop, his father was into soul. According to Shand, his father influenced and exposed Shand to R&B/soul acts including Steely Dan, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Herbie Hancock, The Isley Brothers, Stevie Wonder and Blood, Sweat and Tears.
During his home schooling in Winnipeg, he listened to his parents' R&B, blues and soul albums, spending a lot of time in his basement sampling retro music. Shand's love of funk music made him an outcast. His parents encouraged him to earn his GED, and to work on his music as a project. He also attended Garden City Collegiate for his Grade 11 year of studies.
Music career and The Way I Feel
At the age of 19, Shand sent a demo tape to Steve Warden. Warden then became his manager and helped to find Shand a prominent record deal. Two different labels gave Shand offers for a recording deal but he turned down the offer. Fortunately Universal Music Canada had signed Shand to a record deal with Motown Records in the United States.
Shand began recording and mixing his debut album, The Way I Feel, during the spring of 2001 at his home in Winnipeg, performing and recording the tracks for vocals and every instrument on the album. The album features songs such as "The Colour of the Day" and "I Met Your Mercy", examples of his particular style. Shand was quoted as saying the track "Everlasting" was the blueprint towards the content of The Way I Feel, as it was the oldest track on the album, recorded in 1998.
The Way I Feel was released on March 12, 2002, and Shand won a Juno Award for Best R&B/Soul Recording at the 2003 Juno Awards. The album was successful in Canada and sold roughly 250,000 of its 750,000 copies in the United States. Shand received four Grammy nominations for his work.
In May 2013, a "Remy Records" page appeared on YouTube, with two new videos posted: WhereAreWeGoing? recorded in 2013, and Mark Gonzales, recorded in 1996.
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions||Certifications
|The Way I Feel||1||39||15|
- "Take a Message" (2002), Universal
- "The Way I Feel" (2002), Universal
- "Rocksteady" (2002), Universal
- "Ripened and Consumed" (2002), Universal
- "Where Are We Going" (2013), Remy Records
- "The Best In Me" (2014), Remy Records
- "Son Of Night" (2014), Remy Records
- "Politicians" (2014), Remy Records
Awards and nominations
Juno Awards
|2003||The Way I Feel||Best R&B/Soul Recording||Won|
Grammy Awards
|2003||The Way I Feel||Best R&B Album||Nominated|
|2003||"The Way I Feel"||Best R&B Vocal Performance - Male||Nominated|
|2003||"The Way I Feel"||Best R&B Song||Nominated|
|2003||"Rocksteady"||Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance||Nominated|
- "File Details: FD06-01-79576". Court of Queen's Bench of Manitoba. 2006-03-03 to 2008-11-19. Retrieved 2008-12-16.
- Manitoba Registry Record
- "Obituary: Lana Shand". Passages. 2010-03-08. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- "Musician's mother dies". Winnipeg Free Press. 2010-03-10. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- Allmusic peaks
- http://www.musiccanada.com/GPSearchResult.aspx?st=&ica=False&sa=Remy%20Shand&sl=&smt=0&sat=-1&ssb=Artist Gold & Platinum search database
- Ehrlich, Dimitri (1 August 2002). "Remy Shand: meet the new soul singer with motown in his heart and Winnipeg in his accent.". Interview (Brant Publications, Inc.). Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- Moon, Tom (22 February 2002). "Remy Shand: a protege with the classic sound, if not the look.". The Philadelphia Inquirer (via Knight-Ridder/Tribune News Service). Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- Dimitrakopoulos, Sandra (February 25, 2003). "The way Remy Shand feels about music". Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- remyshandworld.com – Official web site
- Remy Shand at the Internet Movie Database
- Remy Shand on Twitter
- Remy Records on Facebook
- Remy Records on Tumblr
- Remy Shand on YouTube