Renán Almendárez Coello
As of mid 2013, 'El Cucuy' can be heard on Southern California's 690 AM radio station, as well as several affiliate stations across the United States.
Renán Almendárez Coello El Cucuy de la Manana (born November 18, 1953 in Honduras) He had an estimated audience of about three million daily listeners. For six years, "El Cucuy" was the most-listened-to voice on L.A. radio, surpassing the ratings of Rick Dees and Howard Stern. Renan hosted the morning show on KLAX-FM in Los Angeles, California. Billed as El Cucuy de la Mañana
On September 15, 2008, Coello announced that he was leaving KLAX in order to launch a new radio network in addition to continuing on his television program on Azteca America. KLAX is now carrying the morning show of Joaquin Garza, "El Chulo de la manana", from sister station WLEY-FM in Chicago.
Almendárez was born in Honduras and began working in radio at age 15. After interviewing the then-US Ambassador to Honduras, John Negroponte, Negroponte arranged a visa and Almendárez emigrated to the US. He became a US citizen in 2000.
While non-partisan, Almendárez is active in encouraging Latinos to vote and to take part in activism against anti-illegal immigrant legislation and sentiment, such as the 2006 Great American Boycott.
He is the author of El Cucuy de la Mañana: My Life in Radio's Fast Lane.
He is the father of actress Francia Almendárez, And Cynthia Benson
El Cucuy Foundation
El Cucuy Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit charity serving individuals across the United States, Mexico and Central America. Mission Statement: To serve the poor and unfortunate, regardless of race, religion or ethnic origin, by helping remove boundaries that restrict them living a less than fulfilled life.
- El Cucuy: En la Cumbre de la Pobreza, Autobiography, by Renan Almendarez Coello, Spanish, 2003,ISBN 0-06-000998-5
- El Cucuy de la Mañana, Renan Almendarez Coello, Audio CD, Spanish, 2002,
- Renan Almendarez Coello, El Cucuy de la Manana, by Fernando Schiantarelli, 2002,
- El Cucuy: En la Cumbre de la Pobreza
- El Cucuy de la Mañana
- Hispanic PR Wire - Renan Almendarez Coello, 'El Cucuy De La Tarde,' Los Angeles' #1 Radio Personality on Univision Radio's KSCA-FM La Nueva 101.9, Helps the Hispanic Community Fight Against Diabetes
- El Cucuy Foundation - About Us
- Bachman, Katy, "Dream weaver: Spanish Broadcasting System is taking on the biggest Hispanic broadcaster, Univision, by using tried-and-true general-market tactics.", Mediaweek, v. 14 no. 35, October 4, 2004.
- Baum, Dan, "Arriba! A Latino radio scold gets out the vote, The New Yorker, October 23, 2006.
- Univision, "El Cucuy" acusado formalmente, Presentó fianza tras detención
-  Photo Gallery Multemedia Releases News by Region TV/Radio Advisory Art & Culture Automotive Food Sport $ Recreation Education Entreteinment Family & Living Goberment y Politics Immigration Human Interes Internet y Technology Marketing Business y Finance Health Travel & Tourism
- El Cucuy Foundation
- Official El Cucuy Website, Noticiero Cucuy.com/News Cucuy.com
- (http:)//www.cucuy.com/)Official Cucuy Website Radio Show airs out through USTREAM