René Redzepi in the restaurant Zaldiarán (Vitoria-Gasteiz)
15 December 1977 |
René Redzepi (born 16 December 1977) is a Danish chef and co-owner of the two-Michelin star restaurant Noma in the Christianshavn neighborhood of Copenhagen, Denmark. His restaurant was voted the best restaurant in the world in 2010 San Pellegrino Awards, 2011 and 2012. Redzepi is noted for his work for the reinvention and refinement of a new Nordic cuisine and food that is characterized by inventiveness and clean flavours.
After choosing a culinary career, he trained at the restaurant Pierre André which had just opened in Copenhagen and soon received a Michelin star. He first visited El Bulli as a guest in 1998 and subsequently worked there during the 1999 season. Back in Copenhagen he started working at Kong Hans Kælder, which had been one of the city's leading gourmet restaurants since the mid-1970s. In 2001 he spent four months working under Thomas Keller at The French Laundry in California, but returned to Kong Hans Kælder and Copenhagen.
In December 2002, Redzepi was contacted by Claus Meyer, who had been offered to operate a restaurant at the North Atlantic House, a former 18th century warehouse which was being turned into a cultural centre for the North Atlantic region. Noma was opened in 2004 with Redzepi as the head chef.
Early life and family background
Redzepi was born on 15 December 1977 in Copenhagen, to an immigrant father from the Yugoslav republic of Macedonia, and a Danish mother. His father is of Albanian ethnic descent, and is Muslim. His family moved to SR Macedonia and lived there until the start of Yugoslav wars.
Awards and accolades
- 2006: 33rd Best Restaurant in the World Restaurant Top 50|Restaurant magazine Top 50
- 2007: 15th Best Restaurant in the World Restaurant Top 50|Restaurant magazine Top 50
- 2008: 10th Best Restaurant in the World Restaurant Top 50|Restaurant magazine Top 50
- 2008: Users of the website TripAdvisor rated Noma as the best restaurant in the world.
- 2008: named International Chef of the Year at the Lo Mejor de la Gastronomia conference in San Sebastian, Spain
- Since 2008: Michelin Guide, two stars
- 2009: 3rd-best restaurant in the world Restaurant magazine Top 50 and "Chefs' Choice"
- 2010: Best Restaurant in the World
- 2011: Best Restaurant in the World
- 2012: Listed in TIMES 2012 100 most influential people in the world
- 2012: Best Restaurant in the World
- 2006: Noma Nordic Cuisine, Publisher: Politikens Forlag
- 2010: Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine, Publisher: Phaidon, Berlin ISBN 978-0-7148-5903-3
- 2013: Rene Redzepi: A Work In Progress, Publisher: Phaidon Press
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to René Redzepi.|
- "Famous Spanish restaurant El Bulli shuts, for now - Yahoo! News". News.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2011-07-30.
- "Mød verdens bedste kok". AOK. Retrieved 28 April 2010.
- "René Redzepi". Caterersearch. Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- "Full Transcript René Redzepi Interview - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. 2010-06-17. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "TripAdvisor ranking". Verygoodfood.dk. 2008-07-21. Retrieved 2011-07-30.
- "New Nordic Food ambassador wins prize". Nordic Council of Ministers. Retrieved 21 April 2009.