||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
Renata Salecl at Subversive Film Festival, Zagreb.
Slovenj Gradec, Slovenia, Yugoslavia
|Era||20th- / 21st-century philosophy|
|School||Critical legal studies|
|Main interests||Legal theory|
Renata Salecl (born in 1962) is a Slovene philosopher, sociologist and legal theorist. She is a senior researcher at the Institute of Criminology, Faculty of Law at the University of Ljubljana. She has been a visiting professor at London School of Economics for several years and is about to take over similar tasks at Birkbeck College University of London, lecturing on the topic of emotions and law. Every year she lectures for a couple of weeks at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (New York), on Psychoanalysis and Law. Renata Salecl is a leading scholar on this particular subject. She has also been teaching on neuroscience and law. In 2012 she was also attached as visiting professor at Kings College, London. Her books have been translated into ten languages.
Life and civic activism 
In the 1980s, she became associated with the intellectual circle known as the Ljubljana school of psychoanalysis, which combined the study of Lacanian psychoanalysis with the philosophic legacy of German idealism and critical theory. In the late 1980s, she became active in the left liberal opposition to the ruling Slovenian Communist regime. In the first democratic elections in Slovenia in April 1990, she unsuccessfully ran for the Slovenian Parliament on the list of the Alliance of Socialist Youth of Slovenia - Liberal Party. After 1990, she left party politics, but remained active in the public life, especially as a commentator.
She studied philosophy at the University of Ljubljana, graduating with a thesis on Foucault's theory of power under the supervision of the Marxist philosopher Božidar Debenjak. From 1986, she started working as a researcher at the Institute of Criminology at the Faculty of Law in Ljubljana, In 1991, she obtained a PhD at the Department of Sociology at the University of Ljubljana under the supervision of Drago Braco Rotar. Her work focuses on bringing together law, criminology and psychoanalysis. She has worked on the theories of punishment, and on the analysis of the relation between late capitalist insistence on choice and the increased feelings of anxiety and guilt in post-modern subjects. The book also analyses how matters of choice apply to law and criminology.
Salecl is associated with the critical legal studies movement. She was Centennial Professor at the department of law at the London School of Economics (LSE) and is now visiting professor at the LSE's BIOS Centre for the Study of Bioscience, Biomedicine, Biotechnology and Society, as well as visiting professor at the School of Law at the Birkbeck College in London. She often teaches as Visiting Professor at Cardozo School of Law in New York. She has been fellow at the Institute for Advanced Study, Berlin (1997/8), visiting professor at the Humboldt University in Berlin, visiting humanities professor at George Washington University in Washington, DC, and visiting professor at Duke University.
- In 2010, she was awarded the title of "Slovenian woman scientist of the year". In December of the same year, she was a candidate for a "Slovenian person of the year" by the daily newspaper Delo.
- In 2011, she was named the most successful woman in Slovenia and got the title ONA 365 by the women magazine Ona (English: SHE magazine).
Selected bibliography 
In Slovene 
- Salecl, Renata (1991), Disciplina kot pogoj svobode [Discipline as the Condition of Freedom], Ljubljana: Studentska organizacija Univerze v Ljubljani
- Salecl, Renata (1993), Zakaj ubogamo oblast? Nadzorovanje, ideologija in ideološke fantazme [Why Do We Love Power? Control, Ideology, and Ideological Phantasms], Ljubljana
- The Spoils of Freedom : Psychoanalysis and Feminism after the Fall of Socialism (London - New York, Routledge, 1994)
- (Per)versions of Love and Hate (London - New York, Verso, 1998)
- Gaze and Voice as Love Objects (co-ed.) (Durham - Duke University Press, 1996)
- Sexuation (ed.) (Durham - Duke University Press, 2000)
- On Anxiety (London - New York, Routledge, 2004).
- Choice (London - New York, Profile Books, 2010).
- "Renata Salecl". School of Law, Birkbeck University of London. 15 August 2012.
- Zajc, Tjaša; Mekina, Borut (29 July 2010). "Dr. Renata Salecl, filozofinja in sociologinja" [Dr. Renata Salecl, philosopher and sociologist]. MLADINA. ISSN 1580-5352.
- "Debatni klub 89" [Debate Club 89]. Muzej novejše zgodovine Slovenije (Museum of Slovenian History). 2008. "Januarja 1989 je del liberalnega civilno-družbenega omrežja osnoval Debatni klub 89. Sprva je bil mišljen kot liberalna protiutež pravkar ustanovljeni Slovenski demokratični zvezi, 1. februarja 1989 pa je glavnina Debatnega kluba 89 pristopila k ZSMS. Člani Debatnega kluba 89, ki so pristopili k ZSMS, so v naslednjih letih tvorili intelektualno jedro ZSMS in LDS. (English translation: In January 1989, Debate Club 89 was founded as part of the liberal civil-social network. Initially it was meant as a liberal counterweight to the newly-established Slovenian Democratic Party. However, on 1 February 1989, the majority of Debate Club 89 joined the SMS. Members of Debate Club 89, who joined the SMS in the following years, formed the intellectual core of the ZSMS and LDS.)"
- http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:vB2tISbJNqUJ:www.dlib.si/v2/StreamFile.aspx%3FURN%3DURN:NBN:SI:doc-02OMEYEO%26id%3D061a72af-644e-4f05-ad89-6097b52e072a%26type%3DPDF+renata+salecl+rojena&hl=sl&gl=si&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiVvbLyUQJQkGFyzZVzcGtKfWgvZ3T70j5sA9mCAb9RenQi9IcZlWyLSS5QTzrAgFD-7o_Qs5bdmE5SzLxPkBCitqgfRlgSN8NzxkbZQQU7_dxkildW-nF2sKE7WkjJp48HIXih&sig=AHIEtbSe0b-oYc6EjuXM7hnOAH5Aoyu-Ig Missing or empty
- "Slovenska znanstvenica leta je Renata Salecl: Z analizo družbenih pojavov skuša razumeti sodobni svet" [Slovenian scientist Renata Salecl: Trying to understand the modern world by analyzing social phenomena]. MMC RTV Slovenija. 14 October 2010.
- Merljak, Sonja; Petek, Barbara; Orlić, Ante (16 December 2010). "RENATA SALECL: Glas razuma" [RENATA SALECL: voice of reason]. DELO (Work) (Delo, d.d.).
- Petek, Barbara; Orlić, Ante (07 March 2011). "ONA 365 je postala dr. Renata Salecl" [Dr. Salecl becomes SHE 365]. DELO (Work) (Ljubljana: Delo, d.d.).