Renata of Lorraine
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2008)|
|Renata of Lorraine|
|Duchess of Bavaria|
William V, Duke of Bavaria and his wife, Renata of Lorraine
|Spouse||William V, Duke of Bavaria|
|Father||Francis I, Duke of Lorraine|
|Mother||Christina of Denmark|
20 April 1544|
|Died||22 May 1602
Renata of Lorraine (20 April 1544 – 22 May 1602) was Duchess of Bavaria from 1568 to 1597.
Renata was born in Nancy, France, the daughter of Francis I, Duke of Lorraine and Christina of Denmark. Her maternal grandparents were Christian II of Denmark and Isabella of Burgundy. She married William V, Duke of Bavaria, on 22 February 1568, in a large ceremony in Munich, which was described in detail by Massimo Troiano in his Dialoghi (1569).
- Christoph, born in 1570, died the same year
- Christoph, born in 1572, died in 1580
- Maximilian I (1573–1651), future Duke and Elector of Bavaria
- Maria Anna of Bavaria 1574–1616, married Ferdinand II, Holy Roman Emperor in 1600
- Philipp Wilhelm (22 September 1576 – 18 May 1598), Bishop of Regensburg from 1595, Cardinal from 1597
- Ferdinand, (6 October 1577 – 13 September 1650), Archbishop and prince-elector of Cologne (1612–1650)
- Eleonore Magdalena, born in 1579, died in 1580
- Karl (30 May 1580 – 27 October 1587)
- Albert VI (1584–1666), in 1612 married Mechthilde of Leuchtenberg (1588–1634)
- Magdalene of Bavaria (4 July 1587 – 25 September 1628). Her tomb is in: Hofkirche Neuburg a.d.Donau), in 1613 married Wolfgang Wilhelm, Count Palatine of Neuburg (1578–1663)
In the early 1560s, king Eric XIV of Sweden (1533–77, reigned 1560–68), a Lutheran, hoped to marry her and sent a deputation to propose her. Eric had several unsuccessful royal marriage plans at different times, but ultimately married his low-born mistress Karin Månsdotter. As to Renata, Eric's desire was mostly based on her being the granddaughter of king Christian II of Denmark, Norway and Sweden, and thus one of heirs of that deposed monarch.
Renata died in Munich, aged 58. Her direct descendant Josephine of Leuchtenberg married one of Eric's successors, the future king Oscar I of Sweden and Norway in 1823. Renata's descent ascended the Swedish and Norwegian thrones in 1859 in person of Charles XV of Sweden and Norway and the Danish throne in person of Christian X of Denmark in 1912. All current monarchs of the three Scandinavian countries are Renata's direct blood descendants. Among her other numerous notable descendants are Franz Josef of Austria and Maximilian I of Mexico.
|Ancestors of Renata of Lorraine|
Renata of LorraineBorn: 20 April 1544 Died: 22 May 1602
Anna of Austria
|Duchess of Bavaria
Elisabeth of Lorraine