Renault India Private Limited
|Key people||Mr. Marc Nassif, GM & MD|
|Parent||Renault Nissan Automotive India Private Limited|
Renault India Private Limited was established in October 2010.
In 2005, Renault established a 51:49 joint venture with Mahindra & Mahindra Limited to form Mahindra Renault Limited. In May 2007, the joint-venture launched the Renault Logan, produced at a manufacturing plant in Nashik, Maharashtra. Initially, the Logan met with considerable success but sales slipped with competition against newer models from Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors and Toyota. The Logan was criticised for its boxy looks and awkward ergonomics. Although built as a Right Hand drive vehicle for the Indian market, the Logan's ergonomics were configured for a Left Hand drive vehicle.
In February 2010, Mahindra and Renault announced the dissolution of their joint-venture, with Mahindra buying out Renault's shares. Renault agreed to provide support to M&M through a license agreement as well as to supply key components and the Renault Logan became the Mahindra Verito. Following its exit from the joint-venture, Renault entered the Indian market on its own.
In September 2008, Renault India opened its fifth global vehicle design studio in Mumbai.
In March 2010, Renault India and Nissan India opened a production facility in Chennai. Established with an initial investment of 45 billion (US$720 million), the plant has a combined annual capactity to produce 400,000 vehicles. Each partner is entitled to half the production capacity.
In January 2012 Renault launched three further models; the Pulse hatchback, which is a version of the Nissan Micra and built at the same plant as the Micra, The Duster in July 2012, and the Scala in August 2012. This model is a badge engineered version of the Nissan Sunny, which itself is related to the Nissan Micra.
- "Renault Milestones in India". Renault India Private Limited. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Logan now renamed into Verito". India Auto Industry. 25 April 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- Chowdhury, Anirban (8 September 2011). "Renault Introduces Koleos SUV in India". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Renault Pulse launched". Autocar India. 6 January 2012. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Renault Scala review, test drive". Autocar India. 23 August 2012. Retrieved 12 September 2012.
|This article about an automotive industry corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|