- This page is on the former pro wrestler, Rene Goulet. For the former Canadian champion tennis player see Robert Bédard (tennis).
|Birth name||Robert Bedard|
|Ring name(s)||Buddy Rogers Jr.
Sgt. Jacques Goulet
|Billed height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Billed weight||220 lb (100 kg)|
July 12, 1932 |
Quebec City, Quebec
|Billed from||Nice, France|
Professional wrestling career
Goulet began his career in Quebec City, QC in 1957 with his first match being against Gerard Dugas.
He spent the earlier part of his career traveling the territories, spending a significant amount of time in the AWA. His greatest fame was when he competed in the 1970s and 1980s with the World Wrestling Federation where he won the WWWF Tag Team Championship with Karl Gotch in February 1972. Later on Goulet became a jobber in the WWE.
Robert Bedard was well known as a very dependable wrestler who could always be trusted to have a good match. As a result, he was often selected to have matches with rookie wrestlers so he could carry the match. The list of wrestlers who had either had their first match or nearly their first match against Robert Bedard includes Ric Flair, Chris Taylor, The Iron Sheik, Jim Brunzell, Greg Gagne, and Ken Patera.
Rene has a number of claims to fame:
- He was the first person to defeat Ric Flair. It was Flair's second match. (Flair's first match, against George Gadaski [who later became a referee] ended in a draw.)
- He was the subject of a full-page photo in the third issue ever of People Magazine (March 11, 1974). The photo was taken of Robert Bedard in a bear hug from Chris Taylor in Taylor's first professional match.
- He was in the first WWF match ever televised on the USA Network. His opponent was Tito Santana.
- He had a recurring role in the classic wrestling show, TNT, as the host of Cafe Rene.
He wrestled regularly until 1986, and he competed in a Legends Battle Royal in the Meadowlands in 1987. He worked as a road agent for the WWF until 1997 and could frequently be seen coming to the ring to maintain control when wrestlers got into fights outside of regulation matches. He is an avid golfer and regularly competes in celebrity/charity tournaments.
- Finishing moves
Championships and accomplishments
- Rene Goulet Interview, retrieved 2010-05-23
- http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/profiles/r/rene-goulet.php Obsessed with Wrestling
- "N.W.A. Southern Heavyweight Title (Florida)". Puroresu Dojo. 2003.
- "N.W.A. Georgia Tag Team Title". Puroresu Dojo. 2003.
- "N.W.A. Pacific Northwest Tag Team Title". Puroresu Dojo. 2003.
- "W.W.A. World Tag Team Title (Indianapolis)". Puroresu Dojo. 2003.