|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2014)|
|Renee M Borges|
|Born||February 25, 1959|
|Institutions||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|Alma mater||St. Xavier's College, Mumbai, University of Bombay|
|Doctoral advisor||Ted Fleming|
|Doctoral students||Hema Somanathan, Subhash Mali|
|Known for||Chemical ecology, Planta-animal interactions, Behavioural ecology, and Evolutionary biology|
Renee Maria Borges (born February 25, 1959) is an Indian scientist and her areas of interest are broad which include mainly the chemical ecology and visual ecology of the insect partner in plant-animal interactions (particularly: ant-plant interactions), the ecology of mutualists and parasites in the fig-fig wasp system, the evolution of sexual displays in plants, and phytochemicals and their role in food selection by herbivores. She is currently Professor & Chairperson at the Centre for Ecological Sciences, Indian Institute of Science.
Dr Borges had her first stint in science at the St. Xavier's College, Mumbai. She has obtained her bachelor's degree in zoology and microbiology with distinction from the Institute of Science of the University of Bombay in 1979, where she then also obtained her master's degree in animal physiology in 1982. She received her PhD from the University of Miami, Florida, USA, with a thesis entitled "Resource heterogeneity and the foraging ecology of the Malabar Giant Squirrel Ratufa indica".
Current and past research
Dr Borges's projects on plant-pollinator interactions include
- Visual ecology and pollination
- Influence of plant spacing on plant reproductive success
- Chemical ecology of the mutualism between figs and fig wasps
Awards and Honors
Dr Borges has made very significant contributions in her field of research. Some of her accomplishments include:
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, Member, Board of Governors, National Institute of Technology (Goa), 2012
- Member, Western Ghat Ecology Expert Panel (WGEEP), Government of India, 2010–2011
- Former visiting faculty, Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun
- Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, 2009.
- “Outstanding Teaching Assistant” award of the College of Arts and Science, University of Miami, in 1987
- "IISc - Profile at Centre for Ecological Sciences". Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "59-62.pdf". Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- Borges, Renee. "Resource heterogeneity and the foraging ecology of the Malabar giant squirrel Ratufa indica". University of Miami. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "University of Guelph - Renee M Borges". Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "BORGES BIODATA 2012.pdf". Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- Chalk it up : Woman - India Today