Renegade (Thin Lizzy album)
|Studio album by Thin Lizzy|
|Released||15 November 1981|
|Recorded||London & Bahamas, 1981|
Warner Bros. (US)
|Producer||Thin Lizzy, Chris Tsangarides|
|Thin Lizzy chronology|
Renegade was the eleventh studio album by Irish band Thin Lizzy, released in 1981. Though not his first appearance, this was the first album in which keyboard player Darren Wharton was credited as a permanent member, becoming the fifth member of the line-up. As such, he made a contribution as a songwriter on the opening track "Angel of Death". However, even though he had officially joined the band, his picture was omitted from the album sleeve.
Departure of Snowy White
Renegade was the second and final album to feature guitarist Snowy White. By his own admission, White was more suited to playing blues than heavy rock and he quit by mutual agreement the following year. He went on to have a hit single with "Bird of Paradise" in 1983.
Greg Prato of Allmusic claimed that Renegade is Thin Lizzy's worst album, with "blatant pop leanings and a production too similar to British heavy metal bands of the early '80s", blaming Snowy White, Lynott's "flat vocals" and the band's drug problems. Prato named "The Pressure Will Blow", "Leave This Town" and "Hollywood" as the album's better songs.
|1.||"Angel of Death"||Phil Lynott, Darren Wharton||6:18|
|2.||"Renegade"||Lynott, Snowy White||6:08|
|3.||"The Pressure Will Blow"||Scott Gorham, Lynott||3:46|
|4.||"Leave This Town"||Gorham, Lynott||3:49|
|5.||"Hollywood (Down on Your Luck)"||Gorham, Lynott||4:09|
|6.||"No One Told Him"||Lynott||3:36|
|9.||"It's Getting Dangerous"||Gorham, Lynott||5:30|
A remastered and expanded edition of Renegade was released on 23 September 2013 and includes five bonus tracks:
10. Trouble Boys [Single]
11. Memory Pain [B-side]
12. Hollywood (Down On Your Luck) [Extended Version]
13. Renegade [Edited]
14. Hollywood [7" A Promo]
- "Trouble Boys" / "Memory Pain" – 31 July 1981
- "Hollywood" / "The Pressure Will Blow"
- A picture disc single was also released.
- In the Netherlands, the B-side was "Mexican Blood". In Canada, the B-side was the Phil Lynott solo track, "Girls".
- Phil Lynott – bass guitar, vocals
- Scott Gorham – guitars, backing vocals
- Snowy White – guitars, backing vocals
- Darren Wharton – keyboards, organ, Minimoog, backing vocals
- Brian Downey – drums, percussion
- Prato, Greg. "Chinatown review". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/thinlizzy/albums/album/307132/review/5944247/renegade[dead link]
- Note that Allmusic lists Gorham as a co-writer, although the album credits do not.