|League||NBA Development League|
NBA D-League: 2008–present
|Arena||Reno Events Center|
|Team colors||Green, Blue, Tan|
|Head coach||David Arseneault Jr.|
|Ownership||Herb Santos Jr., Stephen Adams and Jeff Adams for Bighorns Basketball, LLC|
|Division / Conference titles||1 (2010–11)|
The Reno Bighorns are a NBA Development League team based in Reno, Nevada that began play for the 2008-09 season. In August 2011, the Bighorns announced Bighorns Basketball, LLC, a local ownership group led by Herb Santos, Jr., Stephen Adams and Jeffrey Adams, had purchased the team. The Bighorns play their home games at the Reno Events Center. Their namesake is the Desert Bighorn Sheep, the state animal of Nevada. Their NBA parent club is the Sacramento Kings, entering into a hybrid affiliation beginning with the 2013-2014 season. In 2010-11 the Reno Bighorns became the Western Divisions Champions.
The team was originally owned by David Kahn, operator of Southwest Basketball, LLC. In February 2009 SK Baseball, the group that owns the Triple-A MiLB Reno Aces, purchased the Bighorns. Two years later the team was purchased by Bighorns Basketball, LLC making it a locally owned team.
In July 2008, the team announced their nickname, as the Bighorns. Two previous Reno basketball teams were named the Bighorns; one from the defunct Western Basketball Association (coached by Bill Musselman and league runners-up for their only season of 1978-79), and one from the Continental Basketball Association which played for the 1982-83 season. The team colors of green, tan, and blue are designed to be an allusion to nearby Lake Tahoe.
On July 7, 2011 the team announced their 2011-12 NBA affiliates teams the Atlanta Hawks, Memphis Grizzlies, and Sacramento Kings. The Bighorns have been affiliated with the Sacramento Kings for four consecutive seasons.
In 2009 the team announced they would be affiliated with the Sacramento Kings and the New York Knicks. On June 29, 2009, the NBA D-League announced that the secondary affiliate of the Bighorns would be the Orlando Magic replacing the Knicks.
For 2012-13, in addition to their existing affiliations with the Sacramento Kings and Memphis Grizzlies, the Bighorns will be affiliated with the Utah Jazz, as the Atlanta Hawks have switched affiliates to the Bakersfield Jam.
On July 11, 2013, it was announced that the Sacramento Kings have entered in a single-affiliation with the Bighorns and would take control over the basketball operations beginning in the 2013–14 basketball season. On August 29, 2013, Shareef Abdur-Rahim was announced as the new general manager of the Bighorns for the 2013–14 season. A week later, Joel Abelson was named the coach for 2013–14.
|2009–10||Western||3rd||28||22||.560||Lost Round 1 (Rio Grande Valley) 2-1|
|2010-11||Western||1st||34||16||.680||Won Round 1 (Erie) 2-1
Lost Semifinals (Rio Grande Valley) 0–2
|2013–14||West||3rd||27||23||.540||Lost Round 1 (Fort Wayne) 2-0|
Reno Bighorns roster
- Sacramento Kings (2008-present)
- Atlanta Hawks (2011–2012)
- Golden State Warriors (2010–2011)
- Memphis Grizzlies (2011–2013)
- New York Knicks (2008–2009)
- Orlando Magic (2009–2010)
- Utah Jazz (2012–2013)
- "Reno Bighorns Announce New Ownership". NBA.com/Dleague. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "Reno Bighorns win Western Conference". NBA.com/Dleague. 2011-05-03.
- Gabel, Chris (February 2, 2009). "Group that owns Reno Aces buys Reno Bighorns". The Reno Gazette Journal.
- "NBA D-League team chooses Bighorns as nickname". Rgj.com. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "Bighorns To Be Affiliated With Kings, Hawks, Grizzlies". Nba.com. 2011-07-07. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "D-League announces Reno affiliates". Rgj.com. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "Bighorns to be Affiliated with Kings, Magic in 2009-10". Nba.com. 2009-06-29. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "Bighorns hire Humphries as first head coach". News.rgj.com. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- Greene, Dana (July 17, 2012). "Reno Bighorns new Jazz D-League affiliate". ABC4.com. KTVX. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Shareef Abdur-Rahim named general manager of Reno Bighorns". Insidehoops.com. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "D-League news: Reno Bighorns name Joel Abelson head coach". Insidehoops.com. Retrieved 2013-12-17.