||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (February 2013)|
|Slogan||the World's Largest Gay Escort and Massage Site|
|Launched||January 18, 1996|
Rentboy.com is a commercial social networking site which connects male sex workers and masseurs with potential clients. Its offices are based in Manhattan and CEO Jeff Davids and company director Sean Van Sant act as a public face for the company.
Formerly, Rentboy.com published a manifesto on their website intended for sex workers and clients. This statement promoted a philosophy of "safer sex because the vast majority of sex-workers will not engage in unsafe sex", and says, "While this job may not be for everyone, it has its rightful place among honorable careers."
Jeff Davids and Melanie Nolan cofounded Rentboy.com in 1997 making it the first male escorting website, and today it still is the largest website with this focus. Since then Davids has acted as CEO with Sean Van Sant as company director. The company is based in Manhattan. Van Sant describes Rentboy.com as follows:
Rentboy.com is not an escort agency. We are an ad listing service for male escorts, where men place their own ads and work for themselves, so that clients can contact them directly. Our mission is to create a non-judgmental space where anyone curious about exploring male-male companionship can hire a man by the hour.
International Escort Awards
The International Escort Awards, also known as the Hookies, were founded by rentboy.com's Jeff Davids and Sean Van Sant. The first ceremony was held at the Roxy in New York City in October 2006. Along with others, rentboy.com is still a major sponsor of this award.
Hustlaball is a sex cabaret and dance party organized in part by rentboy.com as a party to destigmatize and honor sex workers. Since 2007, Rentboy.com has hosted Hustlaball three times yearly with a Las Vegas show in January, a London show in May, and a Berlin show in October. Part of the proceeds from this event go to charities such as the Lambeth Hate Crime Initiative, the Terrence Higgins Trust, and the Gay Men's Health Crisis.
Founder Davids said of Hustlaball, "This is a chance for sex workers to be open and proud of what they do."
- "RentBoy.com Manifesto". 2010-03-23. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- "Jeff Davids and Sean Van Sant". Out (Here Media Inc.). 2010.
- Pompeo, Joe (2009-01-27). "The Hipster Rent Boys Of New York". The New York Observer.
- Van Sant, Sean (2010-05-08). "Rentboy.com Statement About this Week's Events". rentboy.com. rentboy.com. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- Weinstein, Steve (2009-06-24). "The Queer Issue: The Rise of Rentboys". The Village Voice.
- Solomon, Benjamin (2000). "Pimp my Party". NEXT (RND Publications) 2009 (October): 24.
- "Gay Escorts Are Heroes, Saving The Globe From an International Recession (and Boredom)". Queerty.com. 2010-03-23. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- Weise, Tom. "LOOKING BACK 10 Years of Rentboy.com". Just Us Boys (JUB Media, Ltd.) 2007 (May).
- "Rentboy International Escort Awards". rentboy.com. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- "Hustlaball Press Kit". hustlaball.com. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- "Promoter Spotlight:Tom Weise". Noizemag (Noize Magazine, LLC) 2007 (August): 42–44. 2007.
- "HUSTLABALL – Charities & Benefits". hustlaball.com. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- "FEELITOUT". NEXT (RND Publications) 2008 (October): 24. 2008.
- Greenfield, Beth (2008). Time Out (Time Out) 2008 (October 9) http://www.rentboy.com/Events/eventsPressAdArchives/timeout_nyc_oct_9.jpg. Missing or empty
- "Hustlaball Hall of Fame" (Press release). Rentboy.com. 2009. Retrieved 2010-05-29.