Republic of Molossia
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2011)|
|Republic of Molossia
𐐡𐐯𐐹𐐲𐐺𐑊𐐮𐐿 𐐲𐑂 𐐣𐐬𐑊𐐫𐑅𐐨𐐲Micronation
|Motto: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained|
|Anthem: "Fair Molossia is Our Home"|
|Official languages||English, German, Esperanto, Deseret alphabet (English)|
|Organizational structure||Constitutional presidential republic; de facto Military dictatorship|
|Legislature||National Assembly (advisory only)|
|-||Declared||September 3, 1999|
0.002 sq mi
|Time zone||Molossian Standard Time (UTC-7 hours, 41 minutes)|
|Calling code||+1 775|
Molossia, also known as the self-proclaimed Republic of Molossia, is a micronation, founded by Kevin Baugh and headquartered solely from his home near Dayton, Nevada. The Republic of Molossia has claimed itself a nation within the United States, however it is not officially recognized as a country by the United Nations nor any major powers.
It consists of Baugh's house (known as the Government House), about 0.001 acres (4 m2) in size, as well as 1.3 acres (5,000 m2) of surrounding property, enclaved by Nevada. It formerly claimed a property in Pennsylvania as well. Originally established as a childhood project in 1977, Molossia subsequently evolved into a territorial entity in the late 1990s.
On September 3, 1999, Baugh created the Republic of Molossia as a latter day successor to a childhood make-believe kingdom called "The Grand Republic of Vuldstein", and declared himself to be its president.
On November 13, 2012, Kevin Baugh created a petition on the Whitehouse.gov We the People website requesting formal recognition of the micronation. However, his petition did not gain enough signatures for recognition.
Molossia consists of two properties (previously three), located within the continental United States and comprising a total area of 6.3 acres (2.5 ha). They are owned by Baugh. Harmony Province is located near Dayton, Nevada and is the smallest of Molossia's territories at little more than one acre (4,000 m2) in size. It is the Baugh family's primary place of residence, and the site of Molossia's designated capital, Baughston. Baughston was renamed from Espera on 30 July 2013 to commemorate President Baugh's 51st birthday.
The Protectorate of New Antrim was located at an undisclosed location in Pennsylvania and was the largest of Molossia's territories at a little over 8 acres (3.2 ha) in extent. It was named after County Antrim in Northern Ireland and had its own governor, Grand Admiral Hess. It is no longer claimed by Molossia.
In August 2003, Baugh purchased a small piece of rural land in Northern California. This was referred to the Colony of Farfalla. The property was sold late in 2005, after Baugh inherited more land which he subsequently named Desert Homestead Province, in Southern California. Desert Homestead was previously owned by Baugh's grandfather, and the property has since been declared a "national monument" dedicated to him.
Vesperia is the name of Molossia's claim of 49,881 square miles (130,000 km2) on the planet of Venus.
The Republic of Molossia claims to be a sovereign, independent nation-state, completely surrounded by the United States. As a result, it has adopted a system of government recognizably similar in structure to that of a sovereign state.
The Republic of Molossia has no Army or Air Force. It maintains a standing Navy with a fleet of four vessels and a land infantry division; the Molossian Naval Infantry. The M.S. Spindrift, the Navy's flagship is a 13-by-3-foot (3.96 by 0.91 m) Allen Class inflatable boat. The U.S. Manatee and twin boats M.S. Bandicoot and the M.S. Platypus form the remainder of the fleet. The M.S. Wombat, the first vessel of the Navy, built in 2005, was decommissioned on the 7th of April, 2013. The Navy has 1 commissioned officer and 49 honorary commissioned officers.
The Republic of Molossia Ministry for Air and Space Exploration is charged with all matters related to air and spacecraft in the Republic (the latter was originally under the command of the now disbanded Molossian Air Force.). It has many running projects in existence including the Skylofter Project.
Molossia is a republic governed by a constitution creating a National Assembly and other institutions of state. However, "due to unrest and the ever-present foreign menace from over the border", a state of martial law exists, enabling the President, Kevin Baugh, to exercise all powers of governance, including foreign affairs, while making the National Assembly an advisory body with no legislative powers.
Molossia recognizes several other micronations, with numerous treaties enacted to this end. In May 2008, a summit was held with Grand Duke Paul, leader of the Grand Duchy of Greifenberg, another micronation. Plans were made for the revitalization of the League of Small Nations, a nearly defunct organization devoted to the prosperity of all micronations claiming land. This was Molossia's first ever formal state visit. Molossia asserts it was one of the first countries to recognize the Republic of Kosovo, one day after the Albanian majority country was declared on February 18, 2008, with Baugh sending an official letter to the newly formed government. However Molossia now only opens informal relations with other states.
Molossia sells a variety of products in person and online, including homemade soap and signed photographs of the Baughs. Cinderella stamps are also produced by Molossia through its self-created Postal and Telegraph Service.
Molossia's purported currency is the Valora, which is subdivided into 100 Futtrus and pegged to Pillsbury cookie dough, with one tube of dough claimed to equal three Valora in value. Cookie dough is stored in an outbuilding called the Bank of Molossia, from which Valora coins made from gambling chips and printed "banknotes" are sold.  
In recent years the various micronation-themed art installations and landscaping projects that Baugh has constructed around his home have begun to attract some outside interest, with Baugh taking visitors on guided tours of the property by prior arrangement. As of 2008, he claims to have hosted around 15 visitors in a year. Visitors are required to produce a passport and their pocket change in order to be admitted. Baugh has stated that these requirements are waived for citizens of Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Monaco, Seborga and "any other country recognized by Molossia".
War with East Germany
The Republic of Molossia has claimed to be fighting a war with East Germany and it has issued war bonds to stop the war. It claims to have been fighting it since November 2, 1983. Although East Germany is now defunct, President Baugh asserts that Ernst Thälmann Island, allegedly given to East Germany by Cuba in 1972, is sovereign territory of East Germany, and thus allows the war to continue. In reality, the island continues to remain officially under Cuban sovereignty, although Ernst Thälmann Island was overlooked by the German Reunification Treaty.
In popular culture
Molossia was the main focus and site of the two-year anniversary of the That Guy with the Glasses website. Doug Walker produced a six-part mini-series starring Channel Awesome members titled Kickassia, primarily set and filmed on-location in Molossia and a nearby hotel. In the film, the Nostalgia Critic conquers Molossia and becomes its new leader, with the help of various other members of the That Guy With the Glasses site. The critics succeed and rename the nation "Kickassia" with plans to hopelessly conquer the United States, but the Critic becomes corrupt with his own power, leading the members of Channel Awesome to revolt against him and pass the power back to Baugh. Baugh stars as a comical version of himself. 
Molossia has also made an appearance as one of several micronations in the Japanese online webcomic, Hetalia: Axis Powers. He is mostly seen interacting with other micronations such as Sealand, Seborga, and Wy. 
- Our New National Anthem Republic of Molossia (www.molossia.org). January 28, 2014. Retrieved on 2014-09-04.
- "Newsbites". Republic of Molossia. 18 March 2012. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- "Republic of Molossia - Official Website". Republic of Molossia. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- "The President's 51st Birthday". Republic of Molossia. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "Neptune Deep". Republic of Molossia. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- "Follow-up interview with Kevin Baugh, president of the Republic of Molossia". Wikinews. 2008-05-01. Retrieved 2008-08-12.
- "Kosovo" (Press release). Molossia. 2008-02-18.
- "Autographed Photos". Republic of Molossia. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- "Supremo Soap!". Republic of Molossia. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- "Molossian Postal, Telegraph & Telephone Service". Republic of Molossia. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- "Bank of Molossia". Republic of Molossia. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "'Lonely Planet' Explores Micronations". Day to Day (National Public Radio). 2006-11-01. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- "Tech TV Interview". Republic of Molossia. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- "Republic of Molossia announces new customs station". Wikinews. 2008-05-12. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- "The War With East Germany". Republic of Molossia. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- "Buy War Bonds". Republic of Molossia. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- "The Invasion Movie!" Republic of Molossia. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "Molossia - Hetalia Archives". Hetalia Archives. Retrieved 2014-12-31.
- Micronations: Lonely Planet Guide to Home-Made Nations. Oakland, CA: Lonely Planet Publications. 2006. pp. 64–68.
- In The Spirit Of Independence Day - One nation, under me, The Chicago Tribune, Colleen Mastoni, July 3, 2008.
- Ryan, John. Micronations: The Lonely Planet Guide to Self-Proclaimed Nations, ISBN 1-74104-730-7.
- iBerkshires Bite-sized sovereignties offer worlds of fun, February 2, 2005.
- Micronations: Republic of Molossia, Unrecognised States Numismatic Society, 2006.
- Micronations: Little Countries that Could, G4TV, Dave Roos, June 8, 2001.
- Born to rule, The Australian, Peter Needham, September 16, 2006.
- State of the nation, San Francisco Bay Guardian, Lynn Rapoport, February 28, 2007.
- The Republic of Molossia official website