Republican Party vice presidential candidate selection, 2012
|2012 U.S. presidential election|
This article lists possible candidates for the Republican nomination for Vice President of the United States in the 2012 election. On May 29, 2012, former Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts won a majority of pledged delegates for the Republican nomination for President of the United States, and became the presumptive nominee.
On August 11, 2012, Romney officially announced his selection of Paul Ryan as his running-mate to supporters via an iPhone app, though the selection of Ryan had already leaked to the press hours before the official announcement. Ryan is the major parties' first-ever vice-presidential candidate from Wisconsin.
Romney asked Beth Meyers, an aide, to head up the search team for selecting a vice presidential candidate. It was speculated that Romney might announce his running mate in July to create early enthusiasm and boost fundraising, but this proved untrue. Romney stated that he would select a pro-life vice presidential candidate.
Media speculation on possible vice presidential candidates
Political analyst Larry Sabato stated that Romney could pick a vice presidential running mate that would help electorally such as by delivering a swing state or a demographic group. Romney's associates suggested the VP pick was likely to be someone mild-mannered with high integrity and have a similar aptitude for analysis. Media speculation and analysis on vice presidential picks included:
- Kelly Ayotte – Junior U.S. Senator from New Hampshire
- Rand Paul – Junior U.S. Senator from Kentucky
- Rob Portman – Junior U.S. Senator from Ohio, former OMB director
- Marco Rubio – Junior U.S. Senator from Florida
- John Thune – Junior U.S. Senator from South Dakota
- Pat Toomey – Junior U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania
- Chris Christie – Governor of New Jersey
- Nikki Haley – Governor of South Carolina
- Bobby Jindal – Governor of Louisiana
- John Kasich – Governor of Ohio.
- Susana Martinez – Governor of New Mexico
- Bob McDonnell – Governor of Virginia
- Brian Sandoval – Governor of Nevada
- Rick Snyder – Governor of Michigan
Former U.S. Senators
- David Petraeus – retired general, Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
- Donald Trump – real-estate mogul, author, television personality
According to the book Double Down, Romney's campaign narrowed down his list of potential nominees for Vice President to Governor of New Jersey Chris Christie, former Governor of Minnesota Tim Pawlenty, United States Senator from Ohio Rob Portman, United States Senator from Florida Marco Rubio, and United States Representative from Wisconsin Paul Ryan.
Having returned from his overseas tour of the United Kingdom, Israel, and Poland, Romney planned a bus tour of Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida with his then-yet to be announced running mate. It was possible that Romney could have chosen to stall his announcement until at least August 12, the last day of the Summer Olympics, in order to attract greater media and voter attention while still allowing time for campaigning and fundraising before the Republican National Convention, which begins on August 27.
On August 10, 2012, it was announced that Romney would introduce his running mate on August 11, 2012 in Norfolk, Virginia, after touring the USS Wisconsin, leading several news sources to speculate that his choice would be U.S. Congressman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin.
Shortly after 7 a.m. on August 11, the Romney campaign officially announced Ryan as its choice for Vice President through its mobile app titled "Mitt's VP".
- Mitt Romney presidential campaign, 2012
- Republican Party presidential candidates, 2012
- Republican Party presidential primaries, 2012
- Romney Finally Gets His Title: Presumptive Republican Nominee.National Journal. April 11, 2012.
- "Romney hits 'magic number' for GOP nomination - CNN.com". CNN. May 30, 2012.
- Rucker, Philip; Helderman, Rosalind S. (August 12, 2012). "Gallery". The Washington Post.
- Ryan joins host of Wisconsin politicians in U.S. limelight (August 11, 2012), Wisconsin State-Journal.
- Mitt Romney begins vice presidential selection process.The State Column. April 16, 2012.
- "Romney Might Unveil VP Pick Early". InvestorPlace Media. Jun 4, 2012.
- Gray, Kathleen (February 22, 2012) Mitt Romney peppered with questions at Michigan plant.Detroit Free Press
- Higgins, Matthew L. (April 3, 2012).Let The Vetting Begin: Attention Turning to Romneys potential VP Candidate.CBS News.
- Mitt Romney's possible running mates. Xfinity News, Comcast.net April 2012.
- Shroeder, Peter (April 25, 2012).Romney will pick mini-Mitt for VP, his Bain Capital hires suggest
- "Sen. Kelly Ayotte Has VP Tryout in Event With Mitt Romney".
- "Rand Paul Says ‘It Would Be An Honor’ if Romney Asked Him to Be VP".
- "Rand Paul says ‘it would be an honor to be considered’ as Romney’s veep (this explains a lot)".
- "The Rise of Rand Paul – By Robert Costa – The Corner – National Review Online". Nationalreview.com. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- Provance, Jim (February 15, 2012).Poll: 54% of Ohio voters like ‘right to work’. Toledo Blade.
- Torry, Jack (March 26, 2011).Portman says he always supported GM bailout.Columbus Dispatch.
- Reeve, Elspeth (February 23, 2012).Most Americans Now Think Auto Bailout Was a Good Idea.The Atlantic Wire.
- Abdill, Rich (April 18, 2012).Poll Finds Marco Rubio Wouldn't Help Mitt Romney in Florida.Broward Palm Beach New Times.
- Elliott, Phillip (April 17, 2012).Rubio, Pawlenty, Haley all say "not interested" to VP spot. Assocatiate Press, Christian Science Monitor.
- "Ellis: Keep eye on Thune for vice president".
- .Washington Post
- McCrady, Melissa (April 10, 2012).Santorum keeps door open for vice presidential bid.NBC
- "Christie to endorse Romney for President". Foxnews.com. 2011-10-11. Retrieved 2012-07-25.
- Edwards, David (October 12, 2011).Romney says Christie on his VP short list. Raw Story.
- "Romney's VP 'tryouts' hit the stage".
- Barabak, Mark Z. (August 5, 2012). "Romney's potential running mate: Bobby Jindal". Los Angeles Times.
- VP Longlist. May 17, 2012, American Spectator.
- Cillizza, Chris (April 10, 2012). "Susana Martinez: I will not be vice president". The Washington Post.
- Bob McDonnell endorses Mitt Romney.Politico January 20, 2012.
- "Would a Latino running mate help Romney, Republicans? - CNN.com". CNN. June 2, 2012.
- Could Gov. Snyder be Mitt Romney's Pick for Vice President?. Fox News, May 4, 2012.
- Decker, Brett M. (April 18, 2012).DECKER: Romney’s Snyder example.Washington Times.
- White, Joseph (October 31, 2011).Michigan Governor's GOP Brand Is Distinct.Wall Street Journal online.
- Carpenter, Mackenzie (February 20, 2011).Republicans consider early possibilities for vice president.Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved March 23, 2012
- Madison, Lucy (March 26, 2012).Santorum keeps door open for vice presidential bid.CBS News
- "Veepstakes speculation: A guide". Politico.Com. Retrieved 2012-07-25.
- "Paul Miller: Petraeus as VP has potential". Monterey County Herald.
- A-Romney-Trump-presidential-ticket-could-save-our-economy.Tennessean 1/20/2012.
- On the Record with Gretta Van Susteren (December 1, 2011).Does Trump Want to Be Vice President. Fox News. Retrieved March 24, 2012.
- Donald trumps up self as vp pick for Mitt.Boston Herald.
- Sean Sullivan and Philip Rucker (October 31, 2013). "Obama’s advisers considered replacing Biden with Clinton, according to book". The Washington Post. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "ROMNEY TO EMBARK ON SWING STATE BUS TOUR—WITH VP NOMINEE?--AFTER OLYMPICS". Breitbart. 1 Aug 2012.
- "Romney campaign releases app to alert supporters of VP pick". Boston Globe. 031-Jul-2012.
- Zeleny, Jeff; Barbaro, Michael (August 10, 2012). "Romney to Announce Running Mate Saturday". The New York Times.
- Zeleny, Jeff; Rutenberg, Jim (August 11, 2012). "Romney Adds Ryan to the Republican Ticket". The New York Times.