Research Triangle Park
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2007)|
RTP headquarters at 12 Davis Drive
|Headquarters||Research Triangle Park, North Carolina|
The Research Triangle Park (RTP) is the largest research park in the world. It is located near Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill, in the Research Triangle region of North Carolina. A small part of the park stretches into Wake County, but the majority of the land is in Durham County.
It is one of the most prominent high-tech research and development centers in the United States. It was created in 1959 by state and local governments, nearby universities, and local business interests. Karl Robbins bought the land where the park is now built. The park covers 7,000 acres (2,833 ha) situated in a pine forest with 22,500,000 square feet (2,090,318 m2) of built space. The park is adjacent to Interstate 40 and the Durham Freeway. It is managed by the Research Triangle Foundation, a private non-profit organization.
The park is home to over 170 companies employing 42,000 workers and 10,000 contractors, including the second largest IBM operation in the world, smaller only than the one in India; the company has around 14,000 employees in RTP. The park hosts one of GlaxoSmithKline's largest R&D centers with approximately 5,000 employees. Cisco Systems' campus in RTP, with approximately 4,000 employees, is the highest concentration of its employees outside of its Silicon Valley corporate headquarters.
Local government 
The park is an unincorporated area, and state law prohibits municipalities from annexing areas within the park, Some local government functions are served by the Durham-Wake Counties Research and Production Service District, a special tax district created in 1986 that is conterminous with the park, wherein the property tax rate is limited to 10 cents per $100 valuation. The park has special zoning as a Research Applications District in the Wake County portion, and a Scientific Research Park in the Durham County portion. As of October 2012, both zoning areas are in the process of being revised to allow higher density development. The zoning changes are coupled with legislative changes allowing for Urban Research Service Districts (URSD) within the Park, which can include a mix of retail and residential usages. These newly permitted URSDs could levy taxes at the same rate as a neighboring city.
Master plan 
On November 9, 2012, an update to the RTP master plan was released for the first time since the park's creation in 1959. With 39,000 employees in 22,000,000 square feet (2,000,000 m2) of office space, RTP only had 600 acres (240 ha) left under previous rules, enough for 6000 more employees and 4,000,000 square feet (370,000 m2) to be added. John Alschuler of HR&A Advisors said the new plan would allow 150,000 employees in 84,000,000 square feet (7,800,000 m2) of space. Three areas would offer new development. Triangle Commons in Durham County would have 300 acres (120 ha) to 400 acres (160 ha) and 7,000,000 square feet (650,000 m2) of office space, a hotel and conference center, a new science and technology high school and a commuter rail station. Park Center at N.C. 54 and Davis Drive, seriously underutilized, would become a business support center. Kit Creek Center in Wake County would have 850 acres (340 ha) with a commuter rail station and add 2,200,000 square feet (200,000 m2) to 3,300,000 square feet (310,000 m2) of office space.
Companies and institutions in or near the Research Triangle Park 
- Accurate Electronics, Inc.
- Advanced Liquid Logic, Inc.
- Aerie Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Affinergy, LLC
- Alion Science and Technology Corporation
- American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (AATCC)
- Anue Systems
- ANXeBusiness Corp
- Ascom (US), Inc
- Aten, Inc
- Attagen, Inc
- Avioq, Inc
- Barry-Wehmiller: Design Group
- BD Technologies (Becton Dickinson)
- Biofuels Research Institute
- Biogen Idec
- BioMedica USA, LLC
- Biomedomics, Inc
- BioShape Solutions
- BP Media Works
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Center for Health Statistics
- CertiRx Corporation
- Chaperone Therapeutics, Inc.
- Chemogenics BioPharma
- Ciena Corporation
- Cisco Systems
- CivaTech Oncology
- Copernicus Group IRB
- Craig Davis Properties
- Credit Suisse
- Cree Inc.
- CrossComm, Inc.
- Delta Electronics
- Drug Discovery Center of Innovation
- Drug Safety Alliance
- DuPont Electronic Technologies
- Eisai Co.
- ElectroChemical Systems, Inc.
- Electronic Consulting Services
- EMC Corporation
- Emergent Game Technologies
- Endacea, Inc
- ENVIGEN Pharmaceuticals, Inc
- Eton BioScience
- Expression Analysis
- Extreme Networks
- Family Health Network
- Fidelity Investments
- First Flight Venture Center
- Freudenberg IT
- Frontier Communications
- GSA Defense Logistics Information Service
- Geomagic, Inc
- Global Vaccines
- Green Cooling Group
- Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences
- Hitchhikers Robotics Group
- Howard Associates, LLC
- ICON Clinical PLC
- INC Research, LLC
- Innovative Emergency Management
- International Society of Automation (ISA)
- Integrated Laboratory Systems
- International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry
- Intersouth Ventures
- K&L Gates
- MED-EL Corporation
- Merck & Co.
- Monsanto Company
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- National Humanities Center
- National Semiconductor
- Nortel Networks
- North Carolina Biotechnology Center
- Overture Networks
- PBM Graphics
- Pharmaceutical Product Development
- Premier Research Group
- RadarFind Corporation
- Red Hat
- Research In Motion
- Research Triangle High School
- RTI International (Research Triangle Institute)
- S&R Communications Group
- SAS Institute
- Scenera Research
- SciMetrika, LLC
- SCM Metal Products
- Semiconductor Research Corporation
- Sigma Xi
- Southern Capitol Ventures
- Spirent Communications
- ST Ericsson
- Teleflex Medical
- TechZoomIn Inc
- Tranzyme Pharma Inc
- Transloc Inc
- Triangle United Way
- Troxler Electronic Laboratories
- Underwriters Laboratories
- United States Forest Service
- United Therapeutics Corporation
- Unithink Inc
- Web Tax Office
- XS inc
- Duke University
- North Carolina Central University
- North Carolina State University
- Skema Business School
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
See also 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Research Triangle Park|
- "About RTP | The Research Triangle Park". Rtp.org. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "Minneapolis to host annual conference of university research parks". MedCity News. 2010-08-09. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "Research Parks and Job Creation: Innovation Through Cooperation". .nationalacademies.org. 2009-12-09. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- Carolyn Sakowski, Sue Clark, Angela Harwood, Steve Kirk, Artie Sparrow, Anne Holcomb Waters (2010), Travel North Carolina: Going Native in the Old North State (4 ed.), John F. Blair, ISBN 978-0-89587-379-8, retrieved 2011-12-14
- Chodavadia, Parth. "Research Triangle Park develops strategy for future growth | The Chronicle". Dukechronicle.com. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- Bracken, David (2010-09-04). "RTP begins updating its master plan | Local/State". NewsObserver.com. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "RTP: Research Triangle Primer". Forbes. 2012-04-18. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- By WRAL Tech Wire (2011-02-16). "GSK cutting positions in RTP, nationwide -TechWire Insider :: Editor's Blog at WRAL Tech Wire". Wraltechwire.com. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "Cisco to slash 6,500 workers; RTP impact unknown". WRAL.com. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "Could RDU do more for Durham?", Raleigh News & Observer, 13-Sept-2009, p.13A
- Choose RTP Park Life About RTP Contact Us Blog (2012-07-31). "Master Plan Update: Legislative Changes Approved". The RTP Blog. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- Choose RTP Park Life About RTP Contact Us Blog (2012-10-03). "Master Plan Update: Zoning Gives Room to Grow". The RTP Blog. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- Bracken, David (2012-07-16). "New RTP master plan to be unveiled this fall | Local/State". NewsObserver.com. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- Bracken, David (2012-11-09). "New RTP master plan promises more density, amenities". News and Observer. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- Bracken, David (2012-11-10). "New RTP master plan promises more density, amenities". News and Observer. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- Link, Albert N. (1995). A Generosity of Spirit: The Early History of the Research Triangle Park. Research Triangle Park: Research Triangle Foundation of North Carolina. ISBN 978-0-9648051-0-1. OCLC 33045964.
- Link, Albert N. (2002). From Seed to Harvest: The Growth of the Research Triangle Park. Research Triangle Park: Research Triangle Foundation of North Carolina. ISBN 978-0-9648051-1-8. OCLC 50694901.
- Research Triangle Park Web site
- Research Triangle Regional Partnership
- North Carolina's Research Triangle Park: An Investment in the Future UNC-TV documentary commemorating RTP's 40th anniversary, produced by John Wilson and narrated by Carl Kasell of NPR News