Residente performing at el Festival Afrocaribeño in 2009.
|Birth name||René Pérez Joglar|
February 23, 1978 |
Hato Rey, San Juan, Puerto Rico
|Associated acts||Calle 13|
René Pérez Joglar (* February 23, 1978 in Hato Rey, San Juan), better known by his stage name "Residente Calle 13" or simply "Residente", is the lead singer and composer of the Puerto Rican band Calle 13, which also includes his siblings Ileana ("PG-13") and Eduardo ("Visitante"). He began his career singing reggaeton, but has moved away from the genre, taking an experimental and varied approach to music, with his lyrics being more geared to social and political concerns which combines hip-hop and urban with various Latin American musical styles.
Residente, was born on February 23, 1978 in Hato Rey, a neighborhood located in San Juan, Puerto Rico. He is the son of a lawyer and of Puerto Rican actress, Flor Joglar de Gracia. Residente met his step-brother Visitante when they were both two years old, when Residente's mother married Visitante's father. The family developed strong ties to the Puerto Rican arts community; Residente's mother, Flor Joglar de Gracia, was an actress in Teatro del Sesenta, a local acting troupe, while his stepfather is currently a lawyer, but at one time was a musician. Residente asserts that he and his family lived a relatively comfortable lifestyle growing up, placing himself in a group of Puerto Ricans who are "too poor to be rich and too rich to be poor." Although their parents later divorced, the stepbrothers remained close. He attended the Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah, Georgia, where he obtained a masters degree in art.
Calle 13 was formed when Residente began making music with his step-brother Visitante (real name Eduardo José Cabra Martínez) in 2004. The step-brothers hosted their music on a website, and began searching for a record label in order to release their music commercially. After sending demo tapes to White Lion Records, the duo was offered a record deal. The duo gained recognition for their controversial song "Querido FBI", which responded to the killing of Filiberto Ojeda Ríos, a key figure for the Puerto Rican independence movement.
Joglar chose his stage name "Residente" because that is how he had to identify himself to the guard every time he returned to his house in Trujillo Alto. Residente's influences come from numerous musical genres. Artists that were influential on him included salsa master Rubén Blades, singer-songwriter Silvio Rodríguez and writer Tite Curet Alonso.
- With Calle 13
- 2005: Calle 13
- 2007: Residente o Visitante
- 2008: Los De Atrás Vienen Conmigo
- 2010: Entren Los Que Quieran
- 2006 – Loose (by Nelly Furtado)
- 2009 – Un viaje íntimo (by Mercedes Sosa)
- 2010 – Sale el sol (by Shakira)
- 2006 – My Block: Puerto Rico (documentary), as himself.
- 2009 – Old Dogs, as a tattoo artist
- 2009 – Mercedes Sosa, Cantora un viaje íntimo (documentary), as himself.
- 2009 – Calle 13: Sin Mapa (documentary), as himself.
Awards and nominations
|2008||Residente o Visitante||Best Latin Urban Album||Won|
|2010||Los de Atras Vienen Conmigo||Best Latin Urban Album||Won|
|2012||Entren Los Que Quieran||Best Latin Pop, Rock or Urban Album||Won|
Latin Grammy Awards
Billboard Latin Music Awards
|2007||Calle 13||Best Reggaeton Album||Won|
|2009||"No Hay Nadie Como Tu"||Hot Latin Song of the Year Vocal Duet or Collaboration||Won|
Los Premios MTV Latinoamérica
|2006||Calle 13||Promising Artist||Won|
|2007||Calle 13||Best Urban Artist||Won|
|2009||Calle 13||Best Urban Artist||Won|
Instituto Cubano de la Música
|2010||Calle 13||Premio Internacional Cubadiscom||Won|
|2011||Calle 13||Medalla Ramón Emeterio Betances||Won|
- Internet Movie Database. "Residente". Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- LT25 Radio San Nicolás (20 January 2012). "Manu Chao y René Pérez manifestaron su apoyo a Famatina". Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- Calderón, Esther L. (November 12, 2011). "Por qué nos gusta René de 'Calle 13'". Divinity. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- Divinity.es (12 November 2011). "Por qué nos gusta René de 'Calle 13'". Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- Birchmeier, Jason. "Calle 13 Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- Rohter, Larry (2010-04-18). "Continuing Days of Independence for Calle 13". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- Morales, Ed (2009-08-02). "Calle 13, in search of the real Latin America". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-02-07.
- Rivera, Enrique. "Calle 13 Invites Fans To Embrace The Ugly". National Public Radio. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- Informador (10 de noviembre de 2011). "Calle 13 hace historia en los Grammy Latinos". Retrieved 20 February 2012.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Residente (Calle 13)|