From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up resistance in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Resistance may refer to:
- Electrical resistance: property of a conductor due to which it opposes the flow of current through it.
- Drag (physics) ("air resistance"), fluid or gas forces opposing motion and flow
- Geological resistance, a measure of how well minerals resist erosive factors
- Hydraulic conductivity, the ease with which water can move through pore spaces or fractures in soil or rock
- Thermal resistance, a measure of difficulty of heat transfer through a substance
- In materials science, the term is sometimes used for hardness
- Antibiotic resistance, used for bacteria resistant to antibiotics.
- Airway resistance, a concept used in respiratory physiology to describe mechanical factors which limit the access of inspired air to the pulmonary alveoli, and thus determine airflow.
Politics and military 
- Resistance movement, a group trying to thwart foreign occupation
- Resistance (socialist youth organisation), an Australian Marxist organisation
- Draft resistance, organized or personal opposition to military conscription
- HMS Resistance, the name of four ships of the Royal Navy, and one planned one
- Resistance (military) is the ability of an organized force to stand on the defensive
- White Aryan Resistance
- Resistance: Journal of the Earth Liberation Movement, an earth liberation magazine
- Resistance (YBNP), from 2011, new name of Young BNP (age 18-30)
In music 
- Resistance (Burning Spear album), 1986 album
- Resistance (Mika Nakashima album), 2002 album
- Resistance (Alove for Enemies album), 2006 album
- The Resistance (Muse album), 2009 album
- Resistance, the title track from the same album.
- "Resistance", a song by Japanese band High and Mighty Color
- "La Resistance" (South Park song) a song from the musical South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
- Resistance Records, a white power music label
- "The Resistance", track 1 on the album New Surrender by US rock band Anberlin
In video games 
- Resistance, a series of alternate history sci-fi shooters developed for Sony video game consoles.
- Operation Flashpoint: Resistance, expansion pack of video game Operation Flashpoint
- "Resistance", a fictive organization against The Combine in Half-Life 2 and it's episodes
- "Resistance", a map of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 multiplayer.
In television 
- Resistance (V), a group of humans opposing an alien takeover in the V television series
- "Resistance" (Battlestar Galactica), a Battlestar Galactica episode
- "Resistance" (Star Trek: Voyager episode), the 28th episode of Star Trek: Voyager
In fiction 
- Resistance, a 1995 novel by Anita Shreve
- Resistance (Owen Sheers novel), a 2007 historical novel by Owen Sheers
- The Resistance (Animorphs), an Animorphs book
- either of two similarly named but otherwise unrelated comic book series, both published by Wildstorm:
In film 
- Resistance (2003 film), a 2003 war film, with Bill Paxton
- Resistance (2011 film), a 2011 war film, with Michael Sheen
- La Résistance (professional wrestling)
- Resistance welding, a group of welding processes
- Psychological resistance, the forces that counteract progress in psychoanalysis and psychotherapy
- Response based therapy, counselling involving discussion of victims' acts of resistance to violence
- Resistance (philosophy), a concept created by author Steven Pressfield that illustrates the universal force that acts against human creativity.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.