Resolute Bay Airport
|Resolute Bay Airport|
|IATA: YRB – ICAO: CYRB
– WMO: 71924
|Operator||Government of Nunavut|
|Time zone||CST (UTC−06:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC−05:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||222 ft / 68 m|
|Sources: Canada Flight Supplement
Movements from Statistics Canada.
The Royal Canadian Air Force is considering a major expansion of the airport to transform it into a key base for Arctic operations. The expansion would include a 3,000 m (9,843 ft) paved runway, hangars, fuel installations and other infrastructure.
Airlines and destinations
Seasonal: Cambridge Bay
|Kenn Borek Air||Charters|
|Kenn Borek Air operated by Unaalik Aviation||Grise Fiord, Charters|
Historically, the airport was served by several airlines operating direct, no-change-of-plane scheduled passenger jet service to such Canadian cities as Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Yellowknife. Airlines included CP Air, Nordair, Pacific Western and Transair operating either Boeing 727 or Boeing 737 jetliners. First Air also previously operated scheduled jet service with Boeing 727 and Boeing 737 aircraft. Many of these 727 and 737 flights operated by the various airlines serving Resolute were flown with Combi aircraft which were capable of transporting a mixed load of passengers and freight pallets.
Resolute, located above the Arctic Circle, is the northernmost destination in Canada to receive scheduled passenger air service.
On August 20, 2011, First Air Flight 6560, a Boeing 737-200 charter flight transporting fifteen (15) people from Yellowknife, crashed near the airport. Twelve (12) people on board the jetliner were killed.
- Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 29 May 2014 to 0901Z 24 July 2014
- "Synoptic/Metstat Station Information". Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- "Total aircraft movements by class of operation". Statcan.gc.ca. 2011-05-11. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- RCAF eyes Resolute Bay for new Arctic base
- "First Air interactive weather/route map". Firstair.ca. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- "KBA flight schedule". Borekair.com. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- Fournier, Chris (2011-08-21). "First Air Says Dozen Killed in Canadian Crash". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Resolute Bay Airport.|
- Past three hours METARs, SPECI and current TAFs for Resolute Bay Airport from Nav Canada as available.