Restless and Wild
|Restless and Wild|
|Studio album by Accept|
|Released||October 2, 1982|
|Recorded||Dierks Studios, Cologne, Germany, February–March and June 1982|
|Genre||Heavy metal, speed metal|
Heavy Metal (UK)
|Singles from Restless and Wild|
Restless and Wild is the fourth studio album by German heavy metal band Accept, released in 1982 in Continental Europe and in 1983 in the US and UK. It was the first Accept album to not be recorded at Delta-Studio, the band moving to Dieter Dierks' studio in Stommeln. It is also the first Accept album in which Udo Dirkschneider sings every track, as well as the first in which manager Gaby Hauke ("Deaffy") gains credits for songwriting. Michael Wagener took engineering and mixing duties once again.
Jan Koemmet joined the band briefly before the release of this album, but did not participate in the recording. The guitar on the finished product is done by Wolf Hoffmann alone, although Herman Frank had joined the band by the time the album was released, and is credited on the album cover.
Another well-known track is album closer "Princess of the Dawn", a tense song that Udo describes as "a Cinderella story" and "like a Lord of the Rings fantasy" with no deep meaning. Wolf Hoffmann achieved the haunting mandolin-like effect by recording the guitar at half-speed, then having it played back at normal speed. He describes the sudden ending as "an idea that didn't work so well."
Udo agrees with the general assessment of Restless and Wild as a landmark heavy metal record, calling it "surely the most important Accept album". Wolf's praise is more reserved, calling it "just another record" and adding, "looking back maybe we think 'Fast as a Shark' was the first speed metal song ever, but at the time we sorta just had fun and we didn't think it was anything dramatically new. Obviously, maybe what was so cool about this time was that we weren't thinking so much. We were just ballsy and tried to do things without having much to lose."
Versions of the album released outside Germany were issued with a different cover, replacing the picture of burning guitars with a shot of the band live in concert. American death metal band Cannibal Corpse has made a cover of the song "Demon's Night". It can be found on their EP Worm Infested.
On January 25, 2011, the album was performed in its entirety at a special show in Switzerland.
|1.||"Fast as a Shark"||Hoffmann, Kaufmann, Dirkschneider, Baltes||3:48|
|2.||"Restless and Wild"||Robert A. Smith-Diesel and Accept||4:10|
|3.||"Ahead of the Pack"||Hoffmann, Kaufmann, Dirkschneider, Baltes||3:22|
|4.||"Shake Your Heads"||Hoffmann, Kaufmann, Dirkschneider, Baltes||4:00|
|5.||"Neon Nights"||Deaffy, Smith-Diesel and Accept||6:00|
|6.||"Get Ready"||Smith-Diesel and Accept||3:49|
|7.||"Demon's Night"||Hoffmann, Kaufmann, Dirkschneider, Baltes||4:34|
|8.||"Flash Rockin' Man"||Hoffmann, Kaufmann, Dirkschneider, Baltes||4:24|
|9.||"Don't Go Stealing My Soul Away"||Smith-Diesel and Accept||3:15|
|10.||"Princess of the Dawn"||Deaffy, Smith-Diesel and Accept||6:15|
- Band members
- Udo Dirkschneider – vocals
- Wolf Hoffmann – guitars
- Herman Frank – guitars (credited, but didn't actually perform)
- Peter Baltes – bass
- Stefan Kaufmann – drums
- Michael Wagener – engineer, mixing
- Stefan Bôhle/Studio Icks – photography and design
|1982||Swedish Albums Chart||27|
|GfK Dutch Charts||47|
|1983||UK Albums Chart||98|
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Accept Restless & Wild review". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- Popoff, Martin (November 1, 2005). The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal: Volume 2: The Eighties. Burlington, Ontario, Canada: Collector's Guide Publishing. ISBN 978-1-894959-31-5.
- "Accept - interviews". Metallian.com. June 17, 2002. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- Hoffmann, Wolf. "Restless & Wild". Wolf Hoffmann official website. Archived from the original on May 2, 1999. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- "UDO - interviews". Metallian.com. May 23, 2007. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- Hoffmann, Wolf. "Frequently Asked Questions". Wolf Hoffmann official website. Archived from the original on December 5, 1998. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- Henderson, Tim (2005). "Hard News Page 2". Hard Radio.com. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- "Accept – Restless and Wild (album)". Swedishcharts.com. Media Control Charts. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- "Accept – Restless and Wild (album)". GfK Dutch Charts (in Dutch). Media Control Charts. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- "Accept – Restless and Wild Chart Stats". Chart Archive.org. Retrieved January 31, 2013.