Retail Council of Canada
The Retail Council of Canada was founded in 1963. It is a Canadian not-for-profit association representing more than 40,000 stores of all retail formats, including independent merchants, regional and national mass and specialty chains, and online merchants. It strives to be the voice of the retail industry by "providing advocacy, research, education and services that enhance opportunities for retail success, and increase awareness of retail's contribution to the communities and customers it serves."
Board of Directors
- Chair - Kevin Macnab, President, Toys 'R' Us (Canada) Ltd.
- Vice-Chair - Louise Wendling, Senior Vice-President & Country Manager, Retail Operations, Costco Wholesale Canada Limited
- Treasurer - Anna Martini, President, Le Groupe Dynamite Inc.
- President & CEO, Diane J. Brisebois
- Alain Baird- President & CEO, The Stitch It Group Inc.
- Shelley Broader- President & CEO, WalMart-Canada Corp.
- Pierre Dandoy- Senior Vice-President Operations, Loblaws Quebec & Provigo Stores
- Grant Froese- Executive Vice-President, Hard Discount & Superstore, Loblaw Companies Ltd.
- Peter Higgins- President & CEO, R.C. Purdy Chocolates Ltd.
- Alan Huggins- President, Lowe's Canada
- Bob Ianson- Co-Owner, Heirloom Linens
- Edward Kennedy- President & CEO, The North West Company
- Brian Lindy- Executive Vice-President, Reitmans (Canada) Ltd.
- Kevin Macnab- President, Toys 'R' Us (Canada)
- Anna Martini- President, Group Dynamite Inc.
- Steve Matyas- President, Staples Canada, Inc.
- Calvin McDonald- President & CEO, Sears Canada Inc.
- Mike Pratt- President & Chief Operating Officer, Best Buy Canada Ltd.
- Luc Rodier- Executive Vice-President, RONA Inc.
- Louise Wendling- Senior Vice-President & Country Manager, Costco Wholesale Canada Limited
- Steve Winter- President, Newfoundland and Labrador Liquor Corporation
Distinguished Canadian Retail of the Year Award
The Distinguished Canadian Retailer of the Year Award is presented annually by the Retail Council of Canada to recognize a retail leader that has led his/her retail company to outstanding business success.
The recipient must display exceptional leadership within the corporation, in the retail industry in Canada and in the community at large, through personal and/or corporate philanthropy activities. Years of service within the company are not a prerequisite, though the individual's term as chief executive officer must coincide with the company's outstanding success. He/she must be widely respected throughout the industry for his/her achievements and the corporation he/she represents must be seen as a leader in the business community.
- 2008-Laurence Lewin, La Senza Corporation
- 2007-Mario Pilozzi, Wal-Mart Canada
- 2006-Edward Kennedy, The North West Company
- 2005-Annette Verschuren, Home Depot Canada
- 2004-Wayne Sales, Canadian Tire Corporation
- 2003-Wynne Powell, London Drugs
- 2002-David Margolis, Winners Merchants Inc.
- 2001-John Forzani, The Forzani Group Ltd.
- 2000-Dave Ferguson, Wal-Mart Canada
- 1999-Paul S. Walters, Sears Canada Inc.
- 1998-Stephen Bachand, Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd.
- 1997-Richard Currie, Loblaw Companies Ltd.
- 1996-David Bloom, Shoppers Drug Mart
- 1995-Allister Graham, Oshawa Group
- 1994-Donald Beaumont, Kmart Canada
- 1993-George Ross Eaton, The T. Eaton Company
- 1992-David Sobey, Sobeys Inc.
- 1991-Harvey Webber, The Smart Shop
- 1990-Dick Sharpe, Sears Canada Inc.
- 1989-Tom Bata, Bata Retail
- 1988-Walter Hachborn, Home Hardware
- 1987-Ray Wolfe, Oshawa Group
- 1986-Murray Koffler, Shoppers Drug Mart
- 1985-Abe Calp, Calps New Brunswick
- 1984-Ed Mirvish, Honest Ed's
- 1983 (Shared)-Jack Barrow, Sears Canada Inc.
- 1983 (Shared)-Tom Bolton, Dominion Stores
Lifetime achievement award
The Retail Council of Canada awards a Lifetime Achievement Award to a deserving Canadian retail business person who has given at least 25 years of continuous service in the industry. It is not awarded every year.
- 2010-Gordon Reid, Giant Tiger Stores Ltd.
- 2008-Dr. William H. Comrie, The Brick Warehouse Corporation
- 2007-Walter J. Hachborn, Home Hardware Stores Ltd.
- 2006-Herschel Segal, Le Château Inc.
- 2005-Richard Currie, Loblaw Companies Ltd.
- 2004-(Not Awarded)-
- 2003-Thomas J. and Sonja I. Bata, Bata Shoe Organization
- 2002-(Not Awarded)-
- 2001-Harry Rosen, Harry Rosen Inc.
- 2000-Aldo Bensadoun, The Aldo Group
- 1999-Ed Mirvish, Honest Ed's
Other Awards of Distinction
- Canadian Retail Education Hall of Fame
- Retail Council of Canada's Young Retailer of the Year Award
Excellence in Retailing Awards
- Retail Council of Canada's Employee Development Award
- Retail Council of Canada's Store Design Award
- Retail Council of Canada's Retail Supply Chain Award