|Edited by||S. Charusheela|
Rethinking Marxism is a Marxist quarterly, peer-reviewed journal of economics, culture and society. It was launched in 1988 and since 2003 (Volume 15) it has been published by Routledge. The current editor of the journal is S. Charusheela of University of Washington Bothell.
Founded mainly by the professors and graduate students of the Department of Economics at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, the first issue of Rethinking Marxism appeared in 1988, just before the dissolution of the Soviet Union began. The journal quickly became an influential academic platform for Althusserian Marxism in the North American context.
Even though the journal was launched by a group of economists (among others, Stephen Resnick, Richard D. Wolff, Jack Amariglio, David Ruccio) and continues to regularly publish articles in the various sub-fields of Marxian economics, such as the labor theory of value, class analysis, and crisis theory, Rethinking Marxism does not have an exclusive economics focus. It is a journal of Marxian theory that makes it a point to rethink and develop Marxian analyses of capitalism, imperialism and alternatives to capitalism.
Rethinking Marxism is also known for its sustained efforts to showcase contemporary art practices. Each issue of the journal presents an original work by a contemporary artist (e.g., Martha Rosler, Mark Lombardi, Michael Rakowitz).
From 1989 to 1998, the editor of the journal was Jack Amariglio. From 1998 to 2010, David Ruccio served as the editor of Rethinking Marxism. Since 2010, S. Charusheela serves as the editor of the journal with a team of associate editors, Maliha Safri, Joseph Childers and Yahya M. Madra.
Abstracting and indexing 
This journal is indexed in the following databases:
- Alternative Press Index
- America: History and Life
- Connexions Digest
- C S A Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
- Current Abstracts
- Dietrich's Index Philosophicus
- Electronic Collections Online
- Film Literature Index
- Historical Abstracts
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences
- IBZ - Internationale Bibliographie der Geistes und Sozialwissenschaftlichen Zeitschriftenliteratur
- L'Autre Amerique
- Left Index
- OCLC (including Alternative Press Index and Sociological Abstracts)
- R I L M Abstracts of Music Literature
- Russian Academy of Sciences Bibliographies
- Social Services Abstracts
- "Publisher's webpage". Routledge. Retrieved August 19, 2012.
- See Balibar, Etienne (1994). Masses, Classes, Ideas. New York: Routledge. p. xxii. and also Elliott, Gregory (2006). Althusser: The Detour of Theory. Chicago: Haymarket Books. p. xii.
- The Editors (2010). "Rethinking Marxism: Legacies, Crossroads, New Directions". Rethinking Marxism (Routledge) 22 (1): 5–19. doi:10.1080/08935690903411511. Retrieved August 14, 2012.