A retirement home – sometimes called an old people's home, although this term can also refer to a nursing home –  is a multi-residence housing facility intended for senior citizens. Typically each person or couple in the home has an apartment-style room or suite of rooms. Additional facilities are provided within the building. This can include facilities for meals, gatherings, recreation activities, and some form of health or hospice care. A place in a retirement home can be paid for on a rental basis, like an apartment, or can be bought in perpetuity on the same basis as a condominium.
A retirement home differs from a nursing home primarily in the level of medical care given. Retirement villages and retirement communities, unlike retirement homes, offer separate and autonomous homes for residents.
The number of retirement homes has been increasing in the United States, from almost 11,000 in 2003 to 12,000 in 2010. The market size for retirement homes has had a much greater growth rate, from $13.5 billion in 2005 to $17 billion in 2010, with California being the American state with the largest market size.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Retirement homes.|
- "old people's home - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com". Oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "old people's home - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online". Ldoceonline.com. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "Beneficial Factors of Assisted Living Facilities". November 24, 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "What Is Nursing Home Quality and How Is It Measured?". Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "What is a Retirement Home?". Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Pell Research Report on Retirement and Nursing Homes". www.pellresearch.com. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
|This architecture-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to urban studies and planning is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|