Return to Nuke 'Em High Vol.1
|Return to Nuke 'Em High Vol.1|
|Directed by||Lloyd Kaufman|
|Produced by||Lloyd Kaufman
|Written by||Travis Campbell
|Music by||Ethan Hurt|
|Edited by||Travis Campbell|
|Distributed by||Troma Entertainment and Starz Media|
|Release dates||May 16, 2013 (Cannes Film Festival)
June 30, 2013 (UK Limited Release)
January 2014 (North America)
|Running time||80 Minutes|
Return to Nuke 'Em High Vol.1 is a 2013 American science fiction comedy horror film, made by the cult classic B-movie production group Troma Entertainment. It is directed by Troma co-founder Lloyd Kaufman and the fourth in the Nuke 'Em High film series.
Welcome to Tromaville High School where, unfortunately, the glee club has mutated into a vicious gang called The Cretins. Chrissy and Lauren, two innocent bloggers, must fight not only the Cretins, mutants and monsters but also the evil Tromorganic Foodstuffs Conglomerate. Will they save Tromaville High School and the world?
- Asta Paredes as Chrissy
- Catherine Corcoran as Lauren
- Vito Trigo as Leonardo
- Clay von Carlowitz as Eugene
- Zac Amico as Zac
- Mike Baez as Donatello
- Tara E. Miller as Rachel Ruysch
- Lemmy as The President
- Lloyd Kaufman as Lee Harvey Herzkauf
- Babette Bombshell as Principal Westly
- Dan Snow as Cigar Face
A fourth movie in the series titled Class of Nuke 'Em High IV: Battle of the Bikini Subhumanoids was initially announced in 1996. Troma ran a script-writing contest that invited fans to contribute two pages with a weekly winner announced and added to the collective screenplay. Despite a script being finished in 2000, this project never got past the pre-production stage.
Troma again announced production of the sequel in October 2011. Initially it was stated the film would be made in Spain by Mushnik’s Entertainment in collaboration with Chaparra Entertainment. The directors were to be Marc Gras and Dani Moreno. However, this version also never came to fruition.
Kaufman began production anew in 2012, directing the film himself in New York and New Jersey. Casting took place throughout June 2012. For the first time, Troma relied on Kickstarter to raise a small amount of funds to support "animal actor" Kevin the Duck. Principal photography began in August 2012 and finished in September.
Reviews were generally positive with the film generating a 67% fresh rating on Rottentomaotes.com. Variety deemed it "a hearty blast of Troma-branded schlock" while The New York Times said Kaufman fans "will be delighted to learn that time has eroded neither his love of nudity nor his disdain for political correctness." The New York Post praised the film for its "hilarious series of parodies: Carrie, Soylent Green, Glee, Cat Ballou, you name it." Horror magazine Fangoria gave the film 3.5 out of 4 skulls, calling it "undeniably funny, brave and so unlike anything put out today that it practically demands respect."
- "Bad Movies On The Web: Some People Have Lots Of Time On Their Hands...Troma Script Writing Contest". chicagotribune.com. 1996-04-15. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "NEW TROMA SEQUEL – CLASS OF NUKE ‘EM HIGH PART IV". Troma.com. 2011-10-11. Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- "TROMA Entertainment Return to Nuke 'Em High DUCKSTARTER!". kickstarter.com. 2012-08-02. Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- "Troma wraps principal photography on Return to Nuke 'Em High". Troma.com. 2012-09-22. Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- "Fleapits and Picture Palaces: RETURN TO NUKE 'EM HIGH: VOLUME 1 - A review by Paul Worts". Fleapitsandpicturepalaces.blogspot.ca. 2013-07-11. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Return to Nuke 'Em High to be screened at MOMA, NYC". Troma.com. 2013-11-23. Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- "Review: Return to Nuke 'Em High Volume 1". variety.com. 2014-01-10. Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- "An Unpleasant Surprise on Taco Tuesday ‘Return to Nuke ‘Em High,’ From Lloyd Kaufman". mytimes.com. 2014-01-09. Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- "Gory ‘Return to Nuke ‘Em High’ good for occasional laugh". nypost.com. 2014-01-10. Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- "Return to Nuke 'Em High Volume 1 (Film Review)". fangoria.com. 2014-02-27. Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- Return to Nuke 'Em High Volume 1 at the Internet Movie Database
- Return to Nuke 'Em High Volume 1 at Rotten Tomatoes
- Official website
- The official home of Troma Entertainment