Robert Gibson (wrestler)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2007)|
|Ring name(s)||Robert Fuller, Jr.
|Billed height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Billed weight||227 lb (103 kg)|
July 19, 1958 |
|Trained by||Rick Gibson|
Professional wrestling career
Cain started wrestling as Robert Gibson in 1977. He was trained by his brother Ricky Gibson and teamed with Ricky in the southern independents.
The Rock 'N Roll Express
In 1983, he formed the Rock 'N Roll Express with Ricky Morton. They feuded with The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton and Dennis Condrey) in the USWA/CWA, and the feud carried over into the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA)'s Jim Crockett Promotions in 1985. They won the NWA Tag Title four times while there and feuded with the Four Horsemen, Ivan and Nikita Koloff, and the team of Rick Rude and Manny Fernandez. Even though he and Morton were of similar build and wrestled a similar style, Gibson was always booked as the stronger and more powerful of the two.
Gibson was injured in 1990 and when he returned to World Championship Wrestling (WCW) in 1991, Morton turned on him to join the York Foundation. They feuded and Gibson teamed with Tom Zenk, but had no success and soon left WCW. He rejoined Morton in Smoky Mountain Wrestling (SMW) and they feuded with the Heavenly Bodies led by Jim Cornette. Shortly before SMW's demise, Gibson turned heel and joined "Cornette's Army".
The team came back briefly First in the USWA then WCW in 1996. In 1998, they were part of the "NWA" angle in the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) for a brief period. Their last run in a big federation was with Total Nonstop Action Wrestling when they were part of Vince Russo's Sports Entertainment Xtreme faction.
He also appeared at one Wrestle Birmingham show in 2002 as "Robert Fuller, Jr." pretending to be the son of veteran wrestler Robert Fuller, gimmick also used by other wrestlers.
In December 2006, Gibson became an assistant trainer for World Wrestling Entertainment's (formerly the WWF) Ohio Valley Wrestling, but was released on October 13, 2007 following an altercation with CM Punk and Tony Atlas.
From 2007 to 2009, he worked for Ultimate Wrestling, a promotion in his home town of Pensacola, Florida, where he was one half of the first ever Ultimate Wrestling Tag-team Champions with Bobby Doll.
In September 2010 he returned to Ultimate Wrestling as a face.
Gibson has acknowledged during a fund raising event at the Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf that he is a hearing child of deaf parents. He knows sign language and often speaks with his hands in the ring before his matches. On September 15, 2006, his brother, Ricky Gibson, died. Robert's mother and father are also deceased.
Robert is engaged to Tami McMaster.
He is part owner of Zeke's Deep Sea Fishing tours in Orange Beach, Alabama.
- Finishing moves
Championships and accomplishments
- All-Pro Championship Wrestling
- APCW Tag Team Championship (3 times) – with Jason Gibson and Mike Youngblood (2)
- All-Pro Wrestling
- APW Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- APW Tag Team Championship (1 time)
- All-Star Wrestling
- ASW Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Ricky Morton
- NWA World Tag Team Championship (Mid-Atlantic version) (4 times) – with Ricky Morton
- Korean Pro-Wrestling Association
- Mid-South Wrestling Association (Tennessee)
- MSWA Southern Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Ricky Morton
- AWA Southern Tag Team Championship (5 times) – with Ricky Gibson (3), Bill Dundee (1), and Ricky Morton (1)
- CWA Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Ricky Morton
- CWA World Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Ricky Morton
- NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- NWA Mid-America Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Don Fargo
- New Age Championship Wrestling
- NACW Tag Team Championship (1 time)
- Pro Wrestling Express
- PWX Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Vince Kaplack
- Pro Wrestling Illustrated
- PWI ranked him #4 of the Top 100 Tag Teams of the "PWI Years" with Ricky Morton in 2003.
- Ultimate Wrestling
- Ultimate Wrestling Tag Team Championshhip (1 time) - with Bobby Doll
- World Organization of Wrestling
- WOW Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Ricky Morton
1One of their reigns began in Memphis, Tennessee, though the records are unclear as to which promotion they were wrestling for. Another reign began with them being awarded the title, though it is not revealed where they were awarded nor which promotion they were wrestling for at the time.
- Smoky Mountain Wrestling (1995-01-02). "Unabomb & "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert Vs. The Rock 'n' Roll Express". SMW.
- Desjardins, Curtis (February 3, 1999). "The Official RSP-W Finishing Moves List". rec.sport.pro-wrestling. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- Royal Duncan & Gary Will (4th Edition 2000). Wrestling Title Histories. Archeus Communications. ISBN 0-9698161-5-4.
- "Pro Wrestling Illustrated's Top 500 Wrestlers of the PWI Years". Wrestling Information Archive. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Robert Gibson (wrestler)|
- The Official Rock N' Roll Express web site Bookings, videos and pictures