Revelation: Revolution '69
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2013)|
|Revelation: Revolution '69|
|Studio album by The Lovin' Spoonful|
|Genre||Pop, folk rock|
|Producer||Bob Finiz (with "special assistance" from Joe Butler)
"Never Going Back" produced by Chip Douglas
|The Lovin' Spoonful chronology|
Revelation: Revolution '69 is an album by The Lovin' Spoonful, released in 1969.
Revelation: Revolution '69 is the final studio album by the group. It features Joe Butler as lead singer on most tracks, following the departure of former lead vocalist and songwriter John Sebastian. Almost all the songwriting for the album is divided fairly equally amongst three songwriting teams: Garry Bonner and Alan Gordon (notable for their earlier compositions for The Turtles); Ralph Dino and John Sembello; and producer Bob Finiz and Joe Butler. Butler also wrote one song on his own. The album also included "Never Going Back", which was written by John Stewart and had been released in 1968 as a single.
The album was originally scheduled to be released with the title "Till I Run With You". First pressings of the album bear labels with this title, and the front cover (a naked woman running after a naked Joe Butler, with their genitals covered by a running lion, and the woman's breasts obscured by either a body suit or photo retouching) bears witness to the intended original title. The title track "Till I Run With You" was released as a single in advance of the album, but was a total flop, failing to even make the "Bubbling Under" charts; this may be the reason the album title was ultimately changed.
In the end, three of this album's songs were released as A-sides of singles: "Never Going Back" (retitled "Never Goin' Back" on some issues), "(Till I) Run With You" (retitled "'Til I Run with You" on some issues), and "Me About You". "Never Going Back" peaked at #73 in the US, while "Me About You" topped out at #91.
Revelation: Revolution '69 was re-issued on CD in 2008, in Japan only, with three bonus tracks—two edited versions of the title track, and the remixed single edit of "Me About You".
- "Amazing Air" (Bonner/Gordon) – 2:50
- "Never Going Back" (John Stewart) – 2:48
- "The Prophet" (Finiz/Butler) – 2:45
- "Only Yesterday" (Dino/Sembello) – 2:43
- "War Games" (Butler) – 7:02
- "(Till I) Run With You" (Gordon/Bonner) – 2:52
- "Jug of Wine" (Dino/Sembello) – 2:31
- "Revelation: Revolution '69" (Butler/Finiz) – 2:29
- "Me About You" (Bonner/Gordon) – 3:48
- "Words" (Dino/Sembello) – 2:18
- 2008 rerelease bonus tracks:
- "Revelation: Revolution '69" [Single Version/Alternate Mix]
- "Revelation: Revolution '69" [Single Version/Alternate Mix, Vocal]
- "Me About You" [Single Version/Alternate Mix]