Rex Martin (born in Burlington, Iowa) is one of the world's virtuoso tuba players, appearing on over 70 symphony orchestra recordings. He primarily studied under Edward Livingston and Arnold Jacobs, though he also took lessons with Edward Kleinhammer.
- Received a BM in Music performance from Illinois State University, 1982
- Received an MM in music performance from Northwestern University, 1983
- Professor at DePaul University (1983-1989)
- Professor at Illinois State University (1983-1984)
- Professor at the University of Notre Dame (1987-1991)
- Instructor at Northwestern University in 1988
- Assistant Professor at Northwestern University in 1989
- Professor at University of Illinois at Chicago (1989-1995)
- Associate Professor (tenure) at Northwestern University in 1994
- Professor at the Oberlin Conservatory (1994-1996)
- Since 1999, Martin has been a full Professor, Tuba and Euphonium at Northwestern University
- Martin is on the faculty of Ticino Musica in Lugano, Switzerland
In 1979, Martin began his professional career by playing in the Circus Genoa band, under the direction of Charlie Stevenson.
- In 1998 Martin began a twice yearly series of master classes in Castagneto Carducci, Italy. In these classes he has worked with some of the finest professional brass players in Italy.
- In 1995, Martin was the host of the 1995 International Tuba Euphonium Conference, at Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois.
- As a conductor and clinician, Martin has worked with the brass sections of symphony orchestras in Mexico City, Osaka, Malmö, Sweden, Stavanger, Norway, Rome, and Copenhagen, Aarhus, Odense, Sonderborg, and Alborg, Denmark.
- Martin has presented recitals and master classes at the prestigious Blekinge International Brass Academy in Karlskrona, Sweden six times.
- Martin has presented master classes and recitals at the Spanish Brass Festival in Valencia, Spain.
- Has presented recitals and master classes in Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Australia, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Costa Rica, Mexico, and throughout the United States.
- Chicago Philharmonic Orchestra
- The Ravinia Festival Orchestra
- The Ars Viva Orchestra
- Fulcrum Point New Music Project
- Chicago Brass Ensemble
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- St. Louis Symphony Orchestra
- Lyric Opera of Chicago
- New York Philharmonic
- Contemporary Chamber Players
- Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus
- Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
- Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
- Boston Symphony Orchestra
- North Carolina Symphony Orchestra
- OFUNAM Orchestra of Mexico City
- Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra
- Lucerne Festival Orchestra
- He has recorded many CDs with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Sir Georg Solti, Claudio Abbado, Leonard Bernstein, Naeme Järvi, Michael Tilson Thomas, Leonard Slatkin, and Daniel Barenboim.
- His playing can be heard on recordings by the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, Chicago Sinfonietta, Symphony II, Chicago Philharmonic Orchestra, Chicago Pro Musica, and Mannheim Steamroller.
- In 2008, his solo CD "Rex Martin Live in Japan" was released on the WAKO label. It is a solo tuba CD recorded live, unedited, from a single concert.
- Tony Bennett
- Dave Brubeck
- Ray Charles
- Wynton Marsalis
- Luciano Pavarotti
- Frank Sinatra
- Mel Tormé
- Sarah Vaughan
Martin has performed as a studio musician on over 3000 television and radio commercials.
- 1998 Martin received the "Young Alumni Award" from Illinois State University.
- Outstanding Alumni Award Illinois State University
- Martin's sister Becky (Martin) Kevoian is married to Bob Kevoian of the nationally-syndicated Bob and Tom Show. Some of the tuba performance heard on this show was done by Rex Martin.