Reykjavík-Rotterdam promotional poster
|Directed by||Óskar Jónasson|
|Produced by||Agnes Johansen
|Written by||Arnaldur Indriðason
Ingvar E. Sigurðsson
Lilja Nótt Þórarinsdóttir
Þröstur Leó Gunnarsson
Ólafur Darri Ólafsson
|Music by||Barði Jóhannsson|
|Editing by||Elísabet Ronaldsdóttir|
|Release dates||October 3, 2008|
|Running time||88 minutes|
Like a fish on a dry land, Kristofer is stuck in a dull everyday routine, working as a security guard. He was fired from the freight ship on which he worked when he was caught smuggling alcohol. Faced with money problems, he is tempted to accept the help of his friend, Steingrimur, who manages to pull some strings to get his old job back. He decides to take his chances one last time on a tour to Rotterdam.
Reykjavík-Rotterdam is one of the biggest-budget Icelandic films of all-time, and features an all-star cast of Icelandic cinema. The film garnered a four-star rating from Morgunblaðið, and has a 'fresh' rating of 8.2/10 at Rottentomatoes.com.
- Director of the year – Óskar Jónasson
- Screenplay of the year – Arnaldur Indriðason and Óskar Jónasson
- Editor of the year – Elísabet Rónaldsdóttir
- Sound design of the year – Kjartan Kjartansson and Ingvar Lundberg
- Achievement in music for film or television – Barði Jóhannsson
An Icelandic Film and Television Academy committee chose Reykjavík-Rotterdam to be Iceland's submission to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the 82nd Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film, though it failed to receive an Oscar nomination.
Variety, after a 2010 screening at the Palm Springs International Film Festival called it a "straightforward product from much of the team behind Baltasar Kormakur's considerably more eccentric Jar City" and an "uncommonly commercial item with brawny action, strokes of humor and a besieged rooting interest (played effectively by Kormakur."
Working Title Films released a U.S. remake entitled Contraband starring and produced by Mark Wahlberg. The original film's lead actor, Baltasar Kormákur—a successful director in his home country of Iceland—took on the role of director.
- Reykjavík-Rotterdam from Blueeyes Productions
- (German) HD-Showcase vom 19. Dezember 2009 bis zum 6. Januar 2010 im Ersten from the ARD Digital website
- "EDDA WINNERS 2008 | 2008 | Edda winners year by year | The Edda Film and TV Awards | Film Sector | Icelandic Film Centre" (in (Icelandic)). Icelandicfilmcenter.is. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "Reykjavik-Rotterdam | 2010 Palm Springs International Film Festival | Ã"skar JÃ³nasson | Iceland". Psfilmfest.org. 2009-12-24. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Koehler, Robert (2010-01-17). "Variety Reviews – Reykjavik-Rotterdam – Film Reviews – Palm Springs – Review by Robert Koehler". Variety.com. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "Contraband". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2012-11-27.