June 20, 1978
|Native name||رضا مددی|
|Other names||Mad Dog|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||74.5 in (189 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Team||Allstars Training Center
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Wrestling||Gold medal Swedish Freestyle Wrestling Champion
Gold medal Swedish Greco-Roman Wrestling Champion
|Years active||2006–present (MMA)
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Mixed martial arts career
Madadi started out as a wrestler at the age of 15, his wrestling career saw some good results, winning the Swedish championship in 2002 and 2003 along with victories in Sweden and other parts of Scandinavia, in both the styles of Greco-Roman and Freestyle. He transitioned from wrestling to MMA in 2006.
Madadi competed in Strike And Submit (SAS), Superior Challenge (SC), Furious Fighting Championship (FFC) and a few other fighting organizations. Madadi holds a submission victory over former UFC fighter Junie Browning in 2010, later that year he took a very impressive decision victory against former WEC- and future Strikeforce and UFC fighter Carlo Prater.
He became the Superior Challenge Lightweight Champion in 2011, after defeating former UFC fighter Rich Clementi via unanimous decision at Superior Challenge 7.
He was expected to challenge for the title in British top promotion Cage Warriors, against the champion Matt Veach on June 16, 2011. However, just a few days before the fight Veach had to withdraw due to an injury and Madadi was scrapped from the card.
Madadi's success on the European circuit led to him being considered as one of the best European lightweight prospects.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In November, 2011 it was reported that Madadi had signed with the UFC.
He was expected to make his promotional debut against Rafaello Oliveira on January 20, 2012 at UFC on FX 1. However, Oliveira was forced out of a bout with an injury and replaced by Fabrício Camões Madadi himself would later withdraw from the bout due to injury as well and was replaced by promotional newcomer Tommy Hayden.
In his eventual debut, Madadi faced fellow promotional newcomer Yoislandy Izquierdo on April 14, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV 2. After being stunned in the first round, Madadi defeated Izquierdo by submission due to a guillotine choke in the second round.
In his next fight for the UFC, Madadi faced Cristiano Marcello on October 13, 2012 at UFC 153. He lost via a controversial split decision. The decision was controversial since most major MMA media outlets scored the bout for Madadi.
Madadi faced Michael Johnson on April 6, 2013 at UFC on Fuel TV 9. After a back-and-forth two rounds, where Johnson stunned and dropped Madadi with a headkick late in the first round, Madadi recovered fast and won the fight via submission due to a d'arce choke in the third round. The win also garnered Madadi his first Submission of the Night bonus award.
Madadi was expected to fight Michael Chiesa on July 27, 2013 at UFC on Fox 8. However, on May 14, 2013, it was announced Madadi pulled out of the bout citing alleged visa issues and was replaced by Jorge Masvidal.
After leaving the UFC following, and still awaiting his sentencing for his robbery conviction, Madadi expressed an interest to go back and fight in the Sweden-based organisation Superior Challenge, in which he held the lightweight title before he got the call from UFC. On November 23, 2013 at Superior Challenge 9, Madadi entered the cage and called out fellow former UFC-fighter Anton Kuivanen, who fought earlier that evening, defeating one of Madadi's training partners.
He was set to return to the cage on May 3, 2014 at Superior Challenge 10, his opponent was yet to be announced. Later news came that his opponent would be Efrain Escudero and that the fight would be Madadi's first defense of his Superior Challenge Lightweight title, which he won back in 2011. However, Madadi later had to withdraw due to an injury and was replaced by Juha-Pekka Vainikainen.
Madadi is married. He and his wife got their first child in 2013.
Madadi acts in one of the roles in the Swedish movie Tommy (2014).
Aggravated burglary and prison sentence
On May 27, 2013, Madadi was arrested in his adopted country of Sweden for burglary. Swedish tabloid Expressen reported that the fighter and an accomplice broke into a designer handbag store before making off with $150,000 (U.S.) worth of stolen goods. Madadi and the accomplice were apprehended and faced charges of aggravated theft and abetting larceny, according to Swedish authorities. On August 16, 2013 Madadi was found guilty for aggravated burglary and sentenced to 18 months in prison. An appeal from Madadi was filed on September 5, 2013, and he was released from custody awaiting notice from the Swedish court of law. In the second trial, he was again found guilty, and no attempt for a second appeal was made. In March, 2015 after serving the active time of 14 months, the sentence was completed and Madadi was released from prison.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed Martial Arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Superior Challenge
- Superior Challenge Lightweight Championship (One time; First)
- X-Fight FC
- X-Fight FC Welterweight Championship (One time; First)
- Swedish Wrestling Federation
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|16 matches||13 wins||3 losses|
|Win||13–3||Michael Johnson||Submission (d'arce choke)||UFC on Fuel TV: Mousasi vs. Latifi||April 6, 2013||3||1:33||Stockholm, Sweden||Submission of the Night|
|Loss||12–3||Cristiano Marcello||Decision (split)||UFC 153||October 13, 2012||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||12–2||Yoislandy Izquierdo||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC on Fuel TV: Gustafsson vs. Silva||April 14, 2012||2||1:28||Stockholm, Sweden||UFC Debut|
|Win||11–2||Rich Clementi||Decision (unanimous)||Superior Challenge 7||April 30, 2011||3||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden||Won Superior Challenge Lightweight Championship|
|Win||10–2||Carlo Prater||Decision (unanimous)||Superior Challenge 6||October 29, 2010||3||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden||Catchweight bout (165 lbs); Prater missed weight|
|Win||9–2||Junie Browning||Submission (guillotine choke)||Superior Challenge 5||May 1, 2010||2||0:22||Stockholm, Sweden||Lightweight debut|
|Win||8–2||Andy Walker||TKO (punches)||Superior Challenge 4||October 31, 2009||1||1:11||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||7–2||Raymond Jarman||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Superior Challenge 3||May 30, 2009||1||1:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||6–2||Oriol Gaset||Submission (guillotine choke)||Furious Fighting Championship 2||February 21, 2009||1||2:38||Casablanca, Morocco|
|Loss||5–2||Peter Irving||Decision (unanimous)||Strike and Submit 7||July 13, 2008||3||5:00||Gateshead, England|
|Win||5–1||Aidan Marron||Decision (unanimous)||Superior Challenge 1||May 4, 2008||3||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||4–1||Peter Wilson||Submission (armbar)||X-Fight FC 1||March 30, 2008||1||0:48||Sunderland, England||Won X-Fight FC Welterweight Championship|
|Win||3–1||Romano de los Reyes||Submission (triangle choke)||Slamm - Holland vs Thailand 3||May 6, 2007||1||1:04||Netherlands|
|Win||2–1||Geroid McNichol||Submission (armbar)||Strike and Submit 1||January 28, 2007||3||1:28||Gateshead, England|
|Win||1–1||Christian Johansson||TKO (punches)||Travelfight Arena 1||December 16, 2006||2||3:30||Uppsala, Sweden|
|Loss||0–1||Ville Manninen||Decision (unanimous)||ZST - Prestige||September 23, 2006||3||5:00||Turku, Finland|
- "Beyond the Reza Madadi "Mad Dog" show". mmaviking.com. 2011-08-18.
- "Superior Challenge 5 results". fightmagazine.com. 2010-05-01.
- "Superior Challenge 6 results". sherdog.com. 2010-10-29.
- "Clementi-Madadi meet in LW title bout at Superior Challenge 7". sherdog.com. 2011-03-22.
- "Veach-Madadi title bout headlines CWFC debut in Jordan". sherdog.com. 2011-06-02.
- "Veach-Madadi title tild nixed from CWFC card in Jordan". sherdog.com. 2011-06-14.
- "Reza Madadi not fighting on Cage Warriors card in Jordan". mmaviking.com. 2011-06-14.
- "World MMA lightweight scouting report: #6 - Reza Madadi". bloodyelbow.com. 2010-11-07.
- "Top lightweight prospect Reza Madadi (11-2) has signed with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)". mmamania.com. 2011-11-25.
- Bobby Cavian (November 22, 2011). "Swedish MMA Star Reza Madadi debuts at UFC on FX 1 against Rafaello Oliveira". studiomma.com. Retrieved November 22, 2011.
- "Replacement Fabricio Camoes steps in to fight Reza Madadi at UFC on FX 1". MMAjunkie.com. December 27, 2011.
- "Tommy Hayden targeted for UFC on FX 1 slot against Fabricio Camoes". mmajunkie.com. January 16, 2012.
- "Young-Wisely, Izquierdo-Madadi completes Sweden's UFC on FUEL TV 2 lineup". mmajunkie.com. February 19, 2012.
- "UFC on Fuel 2 results: Reza Madadi submits Yoislandy Izquierdo with a guillotine". bloodyelbow.com. 2012-04-14.
- "Cristiano Marcello vs. Reza Madadi added to UFC 153 in Brazil". MMAJunkie.com. July 19, 2012.
- "UFC 153 play-by-play and live results". mmajunkie.com. 2012-10-13.
- "UFC 153 - Results play-by-play". sherdog.com. 2012-10-13.
- "UFC 153 undercard live blog". mmafighting.com. 2012-10-13.
- "UFC 153 live facebook FX results". bloodyelbow.com. 2012-10-13.
- "UFC 153 play-by-play, Reza Madadi vs Cristiano Marcello". mmaweekly.com. 2012-10-13.
- "UFC 153 live results and play-by-play". bleacherreport.com. 2012-10-13.
- "UFC 153 live play-by-play results". insidefights.com. 2012-10-13.
- "UFC 153 live play-by-play results (page 2)". mmarising.com. 2012-10-13.
- "Michael Johnson vs Reza Madadi set for UFC on Fuel TV 9". mmajunki.com. February 8, 2013.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 9 results: Reza Madadi survives kick, taps out Michael Johnson". mmajunkie.com. 2013-04-06.
- Staff (2013-04-06). "UFC on FUEL TV 9 bonuses: McGregor, Madadi, Pickett, Easton win $60,000". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-06.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 9 bonuses and awards: McGregor, Madadi, Pickett and Easton all make bank". mmamania.com. 2013-04-06.
- "Michael Chiesa vs Reza Madadi added to UFC on Fox 8 in Seattle". mmajunkie.com. 2013-04-23.
- "Reza Madadi out of UFC on FOX 8, Jorge Masvidal now meets Michael Chiesa". mmajunkie.com. 2013-05-14.
- "UFC officially releases Reza Madadi following conviction". mmajunkie.com. 2013-08-20.
- "Madadi calls out Kuivanen at Superior Challenge 9". mmaviking.com. 2013-11-23.
- "Reza Madadi returns to Superior Challenge". mmaviking.com. 2014-02-10.
- "Reza "Mad Dog" Madadi booked for Superior Challenge 10". mmanytt. 2014-02-10.
- "Reza Madadi returns to MMA". fansided.com. 2014-02-10.
- "Reza Madadi is out of jail and back in MMA". bloodyelbow.com. 2014-02-10.
- "Madadi vs. Escuerdo title bout tops Superior Challenge 10". fightnetwork.com. 2014-04-07.
- "Reza Madadi försvarar titeln mot Efrain Escudero på Superior Challenge X / Reza Madadi to defend title against Efrain Escudero at Superior Challenge X". mmanytt.se. 2014-04-02.
- "Madadi takes on Escudero for Superior Challenge belt". mmaviking.com. 2014-04-07.
- "Madadi out, Vainikainen in against Escudero for Superior Challenge belt". mmaviking.com. 2014-04-26.
- "Reza Madadi planning return, 'I'm back'". mmaviking.com. 2015-03-13.
- "Now a free man, former UFC fighter Reza Madadi details past 'two years of hell'". mmafighting.com. 2015-03-17.
- "Reza Madadi saves drowning child and father". sports.yahoo.com. 2012-08-14.
- "UFC lightweight Reza Madadi saves drowning toddler in Sweden". mmamania.com. 2012-08-14.
- "Reza Madadi a local hero after saving baby". mmaviking.com. 2012-08-14.
- "Reza Madadi to star in mainstream movie". mmaviking.com. 2013-05-14.
- "UFC fighter Reza Madadi arrested on suspicion of burglary in Sweden". mmajunkie.com. 2013-05-27.
- "Report: Reza Madadi prosecuted". mmaviking.com. 2013-07-29.
- "UFC's Reza Madadi sentenced to 18 months for role in handbag heist". mmajunkie.com. 2013-08-16.
- "Reza Madadi överklagar dom / Reza Madadi files an appeal". mmanytt.se. 2013-09-06.
- "Reza Madadi set free; Verdict pending". mmaviking.com. 2013-08-07.
- "Now a free man, former UFC fighter Reza Madadi details past 'two years of hell'". mmafighting.com. 2015-03-17.
- "The MMA Hour - 273 - Reza Madadi". mmafighting.com. 2015-03-17.
- "UFC veteran Reza Madadi, now out of prison says he went through hell". foxsports.com. 2015-03-17.
- "UFC on Fuel TV 9 Bonuses: Picket, Easton, Madadi, McGregor earn $60K". sherdog.com. 2013-04-06.
- "Superior Challenge 7 results, Leites and Madadi wins vacant titles". sherdog.com. 2011-04-30.
- "X-Fight FC 1 results". sherdog.com. 2008-03-30.
- "Swedish Wrestling: Statics & History". swedewrestling.se. 2011-04-21.