- The name Rhacophorus bimaculatus was also used for Rhacophorus bipunctatus, Rhacophorus cyanopunctatus and Rhacophorus gauni (see below).
Leptomantis bimaculata Peters, 1867
Rhacophorus bimaculatus is a frog species in the moss frog family (Rhacophoridae). Described by Wilhelm Peters in 1867, it is endemic to the Philippines. There, it is known to occur on the islands of Bohol, Mindanao, and in the south of Luzon; it might also be found on other islands as its known range brackets the main chain of the Philippines archipelago.
Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests, subtropical or tropical moist montane forests, rivers, intermittent rivers, and freshwater springs. It is threatened by habitat loss.
This species was initially placed in the genus Leptomantis, as L. bimaculata. It was erroneously described a second time in 1922, under the junior synonym Philautus zamboangensis. When Leptomantis was merged into Rhacophorus, its name became the senior homonym of the R. bimaculatus named so by G. A. Boulenger in 1882; that species was subsequently renamed to R. bipunctatus. For some time, it was believed that similar frogs from Indonesia and Malaysia also belonged to the present species. But this was found to be wrong, and the western relative is now known as R. cyanopunctatus. Tadpoles from Borneo were also discussed under the name R. bimaculatus; these actually were of R. cyanopunctatus or R. gauni.
- Peters (1867)
- Diesmos et al. (2004)
- Ahl (1927)
- Tzi Ming (2004)
- Ahl, Ernst (1927): Zur Systematik der asiatischen Arten der Froschgattung Rhacophorus ["Regarding the systematics of the Asian species of the frog genus Rhacophorus"]. Sitzungsberichte der Gesellschaft naturforschender Freunde Berlin 15: 35–47.
- Diesmos, A.; Alcala, A.; Brown, R.; Afuang, L. & Gee, G. (2004). Rhacophorus bimaculatus. 2006. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN 2006. www.iucnredlist.org. Retrieved on 23 July 2007.
- Peters, Wilhelm (1867): Herpetologische Notizen ["Herpetological Notes"]. Monatsberichte der Königlich-Preussischen Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin 1867: 13–37.
- Tzi Ming, Leong (2004): Larval descriptions of some poorly known tadpoles from Peninsular Malaysia (Amphibia: Anura). Raffles Bulletin of Zoology 52(2): 609-620. PDF fulltext
|This Rhacophoridae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|