30 December 1976 |
Rowberrow, Somerset, England
|Genres||video games, fantasy|
|Notable work(s)||Heavenly Sword, Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider|
Rhianna Pratchett (born December 30, 1976) is an English video game scriptwriter, narrative designer and journalist. Rhianna has worked on titles such as Eidos/Square Enix's Tomb Raider reboot, Sony’s PS3 epic Heavenly Sword, Codemasters' Overlord fantasy game series and EA's Mirror’s Edge.
Pratchett studied journalism at the London College of Printing and following graduation began her career writing for Minx magazine, where her first games reviews were published. Shortly after, she moved onto the long running PC Zone magazine as an editorial assistant, staff writer and eventually becoming a section editor. She also wrote for many other publications and organizations including The Guardian, The Sunday Times, The Telegraph and the BBC.
Pratchett moved into script writing and narrative design in 2002, with the title Beyond Divinity, for which she also wrote a novella to accompany the game. In 2007 her work on Heavenly Sword was nominated for a BAFTA and a year later she won a Writers’ Guild of Great Britain ’Best Videogame Script’ award for Overlord.
In 2013 she was inducted into the European Women in Games Hall of Fame.
Pratchett authored the comic Tomb Raider: The Beginning with Dark Horse and the 6-part Mirror’s Edge miniseries with DC Comics, along with several of her own short stories. She has contributed to various books on games narrative including Professional Techniques for Video Game Writing (Edited by: Wendy Despain) and Game Writing: Narrative Skills for Videogames (Edited by: Chris Bateman).
She is co-director of the Narrativia multimedia production company, currently working on three television projects based on her father's works: The Watch, Good Omens, and Wee Free Men (which she is personally adapting into a feature script), as well as several other projects.
At E3 2013 a new entry in the Mirror's Edge franchise was announced, fans of Lisa Miskovsky and Rhianna Pratchett made a petition in November 2013 to make sure EA DICE hire her to pen the script for the new game.
|This section requires expansion. (September 2010)|
Rhianna has worked on the following titles
- Beyond Divinity (Story editor) - Larian Studios (2004)
- Stronghold Legends (Writer) – Firefly Studios/2k (2006)
- Heavenly Sword (Co-Writer/ Story) – Ninja Theory/Sony(2007)
- Overlord (Writer/Co-Audio Director) – Triumph Studios/Codemasters (2007)
- Overlord: Raising Hell - expansion pack (2008)
- Viking: Battle for Asgard (Writer) – The Creative Assembly/Sega (2008)
- Mirror's Edge (Writer) – DICE/EA (2008)
- Prince of Persia (Additional Writer) – Ubisoft Montreal (2008)
- Overlord: Minions (Writer) – Climax/Codemasters (2009)
- Overlord: Dark Legend (Writer/VO Director) – Climax/ Codemasters (2009)
- Overlord II (Writer/VO Director) – Triumph/Codemasters (2009)
- Risen (Co-Writer) – Piranha Bytes/Deep Silver (2009)
- CSI: Fatal Conspiracy (Writer) – Telltale/Ubisoft (2010)
- Bioshock Infinite (Additional Writer) – Irrational Games/2k (2013)
- Tomb Raider (Lead Writer) – Crystal Dynamics/SE (2013)
- Beat Buddy: Tale of the Guardians (Writer) – Threaks (2013)
- Thief (Story and Cinematics) - Eidos Montreal (2014)
- Mirrors Edge #1 - 6 published by DC Comics (2008)
- Tomb Raider: The Beginning published by Dark Horse Comics (2013)
- Legends of Red Sonja #3 published by Dynamite (2014)
Film & Television
- Warrior Daughter (writer) - being adapted into a feature film from the novel by Janet Paisley
- Wee Free Men (writer) - being adapted into a feature film from the novel by Terry Pratchett
- The Watch (co-writer) - In production 
She has appeared in the documentaries: Games Britannia, Critical Path and Charlie Brooker’s How Video Games Changed the World.
- Tomb Raider (2013) Shortlisted for the WGGB Best Videogame Script in ‘13.
- Risen (2009) Co-nominated for a WGGB award ‘10.
- Mirror's Edge (2008) Won Best New IP at E3 ’08 and Adventure Game of the Year at the ‘09 Interactive Achievement Awards.
- Viking: Battle for Asgard (2008) Shortlisted for Best New IP at ’08 Develop awards.
- Overlord (2008) Won the WGGB Best Videogame Script award in ’08. Also shortlisted for Best New IP in the ’08 Develop awards.
- Heavenly Sword (2007) Nominated for a BAFTA for story/character in ‘07. Also shortlisted for Best New IP in the ’08 Develop awards and Best Videogame Script in the ’08 WGGB Awards.
- Won the Women In Game Job’s Hall of Fame award in 2013.
- "Rhianna Pratchett". Front Row. 26 December 2013. BBC Radio 4. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qsq5. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- Gilbert, Ben (2009-03-27). "GDC09: Rhianna Pratchett says games should forget about making people cry". Joystiq. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Rhianna Pratchett interview". Multiplay UK. 2005-02-16. Archived from the original on 2005-02-16. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- Timmer, John (2007-06-28). "Talking with Rhianna Pratchett, writer and co-story designer of Overlord". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "Women in Games Jobs (WIGJ)". Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- "Terry Pratchett: Sex, death and nature". New Statesman. 21 November 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Petition For Lisa Miskovsky's Continued involvement in Mirrors Edge". Age-Media. 2013-10-28. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "Lisa Miskovsky's Continued involvement in Mirrors Edge". Age-Media. 2013-10-13. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "Writers' Guild Awards 2008 - shortlists". WGGB - The Writer's Guild of Great Britain. 2008-09-30. Retrieved 2009-05-05.