|Developer(s)||Robert McNeel & Associates|
|Stable release||5.0 Service Release. / February 26, 2015|
Windows (2000/XP/Vista/7/8)OS X (in development) 
|Type||3D computer graphics, Computer-aided design|
Rhinoceros (typically abbreviated Rhino, or Rhino3D) is a commercial 3D computer graphics and computer-aided design (CAD) application software developed by Robert McNeel & Associates, a privately held, employee-owned company that was founded in 1980 in the United States. Rhinoceros geometry is based on NURBS mathematical model, which focuses on producing mathematically precise representation of curves and freeform surfaces in computer graphics (as opposed to polygon mesh-based applications).
Rhinoceros is used in processes of computer-aided design (CAD), computer-aided manufacturing (CAM), rapid prototyping, 3D printing and reverse engineering in industries including architecture, industrial design (e.g. automotive design, watercraft design), product design (e.g. jewelry design) as well as for multimedia and graphic design.
Rhinoceros is developed for Microsoft Windows operating system and a beta version is available for OS X. A visual scripting language add-on for Rhino, Grasshopper, is developed by Robert McNeel & Associates.
Rhinoceros is a primarily a free form NURBS surface modeler. Rhinoceros' application architecture and open SDK makes it modular and enables the user to customise the interface and create custom commands and menus. There are dozens of plug-ins available from both McNeel and other software companies that complement and expand Rhinoceros' capabilities in specific fields like rendering and animation, architecture, marine, jewelry, engineering, prototyping, and others.
The Rhinoceros file format (.3DM) is useful for the exchange of NURBS geometry. The Rhino developers started the openNURBS Initiative to provide computer graphics software developers the tools to accurately transfer 3-D geometry between applications. An open-source toolkit, openNURBS includes the 3DM file format specification, documentation, C++ source code libraries and .NET 2.0 assemblies to read and write the file format, on supported platforms (Windows, Windows x64, Mac, and Linux). The McNeel Wiki has more current information.
When opening CAD file formats not in its native .3dm file format, Rhinoceros will convert the geometry into its native format; when importing a CAD file the geometry is added to the current file.
When AutoDesk AutoCAD's file format changes (see DWG file format for more information), the Open Design Alliance reverse engineers the file format to allow these files to be loaded by other vendors' software. Rhinoceros' import and export modules are actually plug-ins so they can be easily updated via a service release. Rhinoceros service releases (SR) are frequent and freely downloadable. Rhinoceros 5 SR10 can import and export DWG/DXF file formats up to version 2014.
Scripting and Programming
Rhinoceros supports two scripting languages, Rhinoscript (based on VBScript) and Python (V5.0+ and Mac). It also has an SDK, and a complete plug-in system. One McNeel plug-in, a parametric modeling/visual programming tool called Grasshopper, has attracted many architects to Rhinoceros due to its ease of use and ability to create complex algorithmic structures.
Plug-ins and add-ons
- Scan&Solve for Rhino completely automates basic structural simulation of Rhino solids 
- Diva for Rhino by Solemma LLC: Environmental analysis for buildings. The plug-in was initially developed at the Graduate School of Design at Harvard University and is now distributed and developed by Solemma LLC.
- Brazil for Rhinothe Brazil rendering engine for Rhino by Robert McNeel & Associates
- KeyShot by Luxion: Rendering and animation
- Maxwell Render for Rhino by Next Limit Technologies: Rendering
- Realtime Renderer Plug-in for Rhino by Autodesk: rendering
- V-Ray for Rhino by Chaos Group: Rendering
- madCAM by madCAM AB: Mould and Die CAM system for 2.5, 3, 3+2, 4 and 5-axis toolpath creation
- RhinoCAM, RhinoART, Rhino3DPrint by Mecsoft: machining, rapid prototyping
- RhinoGold, RhinoNest, RhinoEmboss, Clayoo by TDM Solutions: jewelry, manufacturing, modeling
- VisualARQ by Asuni CAD: BIM architectural modeling tool
- RhinoWorks by Bricsys: Constraint-based parametric design in Rhino
- Shape Modelling for Rhino by Autodesk. Creation, analysis and modification of freeform surfaces
- T-splines for Rhino by Autodesk: T-splines modelling
For an extended overview of additional plugins see http://www.rhino3d.com/resources/
- Rhino 4.0 - Robert McNeel & Associates
- "AEC Magazine - Rhino Grasshopper".
- Official website. diva4rhino.
- http://brazil.rhino3d.com/ Brazil
- RhinoWorks at bricsys.com. 14 November 2014.
- Shape Modeling plug-in for Rhino. Autodesk.
- T-Splines at Autodesk.com. 14 November 2014.
- Official website
- McNeel Wiki
- Rhino on Youtube
- food4Rhino Rhino Plug-ins and Grasshopper Add-ons
- Official Rhino Blog
- History of Rhino
- Video examples