Rhode Island Urban Debate League
|Origins||Providence Urban Debate League|
|Key people||Linda Cunningham, League Director|
|Area served||Rhode Island Schools|
|Members||13 High Schools|
The Rhode Island Urban Debate League (RIUDL) is an American urban debate league located in Rhode Island. It operates as a community partnership program between Brown University's Howard R. Swearer Center for Public Service and the Rhode Island high schools with which RIUDL is affiliated.
The League was founded in 1999 as the Providence Urban Debate League (PUDL), so named as it served high schools solely in the city of Providence. In 2003, PUDL was renamed the Rhode Island Urban Debate League (RIUDL) as a response to the expanding mission of the League and the addition of Woonsocket High School in Woonsocket, Rhode Island in 2002. For the 2009-2010 season, four new schools were added, including: Alvarez High School, Cooley High School, E-Cubed Academy, and PAIS High School. For the 2011-2012 season, Paul Cuffee High School joined the league.
|Part of the series
|Policy debate competitions
|Structure of policy debate · Resolution
|Types of Arguments|
- Alvarez High School
- Central Falls High School
- Central High School
- Classical High School
- W. M. Davies Career and Technical High School (Davies)
- Educational Excellence through Empowerment (E-Cubed) Academy
- Hope High School
- The Juanita Sánchez Education Complex
- La Salle Academy
- Mt. Pleasant High School
Paul Cuffee High School, Providence Shea High School, Providence
- Woonsocket High School
9th Anniversary Banquet
RIUDL celebrated the close of the 2007-2008 debate season with a commemoration of its founding 9 years prior. In attendance were David Cicilline, Mayor of Providence, and Nate Parker, one of the actors from The Great Debaters.
11th Anniversary Banquet
RIUDL celebrated the close of the 2009-2010 debate season with a banquet at Brown University. In attendance were David Cicilline, Mayor of Providence and keynote speaker, United States Senator Jack Reed, D-Rhode Island.
- The Swearer Center's website section on RIUDL
- Program listing on the Swearer Center Opportunities website
- The History of the Urban Debate Network
- RIUDL Blog through the Social Innovation Initiative
- Edgar R. (2008, March 20) High school debating gains in popularity. The Providence Journal. http://www.projo.com/education/content/DEBATERS_03-20-08_SG9DS6B_v40.372e248.html
- RIUDL (2009). The Rhode Island Urban Debate League: A Vision for the Future. Providence, RI.
- For the list of participating schools during the tenure of Director Tucker (2006-2008) click: http://swearercenter.brown.edu/whatwedo/prog_edeq_high.html#RIUDL
- Sunshine, S. (2008, March 20). Movie star honors debaters. The Brown Daily Herald. http://www.browndailyherald.com/2.12235/movie-star-honors-debaters-1.1670694