Rhodes International Airport
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
|Rhodes International Airport "Diagoras"
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Ρόδου "Διαγόρας»
|IATA: RHO – ICAO: LGRP
|Hub for||Olympic Air|
|Focus city for||Aegean Airlines|
|Elevation AMSL||6 m / 19 ft|
Rhodes International Airport, "Diagoras" (Greek: Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Ρόδου, "Διαγόρας") or Diagoras International Airport (IATA: RHO, ICAO: LGRP) is located on the West side of the island of Rhodes in Greece. The facility is located just north of the village Paradisi, about 14 km southwest of the capital city, Rodos. Rhodes International Airport was the fourth busiest airport of Greece in 2012. It became the third busiest in 2013 following a traffic increase of more than 10%.
Civil aviation on Rhodes started after the second world war, on the location of the nearby military Rhodes Maritsa Airport. This was the island's main airport until 1980. That was when the new Rhodes International Airport was opened. The need for a new facility was big, as the 'old' Maritsa airport did not meet the needs for a modern civil airport.
The new "Diagoras" airport was built in 1977. It was decided that, on this location, it would meet the needs of the island better. Over the passing years, many improvements have been made to the airport, like expansion of taxiways, platform and airport buildings. The most recent upgrade is the new passenger terminal, which opened in 2005, to better accommodate the growing amount of charters and passengers. The airport's plants currently cover a total area of 60,000 m2
The airport's single runway direction is 25°/07°. The length is 3306 m. and the width is 60 m. There are 6 taxiways which connect the runway with the terminal.
Airlines and destinations
- From airport's version: Aerostat
Annual Passenger Throughput – 13-year history
- Jeppesen aerodrome charts
- "Rhodes Airport Statistical Data (Excel file)". HCAA. http://www.hcaa.gr/. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Rhodes Diagoras International Airport History, Facts and Overview". Airports Guides. http://www.airports-guides.com/. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- JL (24 September 2013). "Aegean Airlines Planned New Routes in S14". Airline Route.
- "British Airways Announce Summer London Gatwick – Rhodes Service.". The BA Source. 15 May 2014.
- "Official Journal of the European Union C 321/6". EUR-Lex.europa.eu. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- Cheap holidays, Package Holidays, Hotels, Flights. Thomas Cook (7 December 2011).
- Falcon | Holidays | Book amazing value package holiday deals online with Falcon. Falconholidays.ie.
- "Vueling open 24 new routes from Rome". Vuelingnews.com.
- "Moscow Domodedovo airport flight schedule". Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "Кернл Хг Аекцнпндю Асдср Керюрэ Вюпрепш Б Хрюкхч Х Цпежхч / Цпежхъ : Вюпрепш /". Travel.ru. 17 March 2014.
- "CHAA – Airport transportation". Hcaa.gr.
- "Airport website, Transport options". Rhodes-airport.org. 26 March 2010.
Media related to Rhodes International Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Greek Airport Guide: Rodos Airport, "Diagoras"
- Airport information for LGRP at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- HCAA – Rodos Airport 'Diagoras'