Rhodes of Africa
|Rhodes of Africa|
|Directed by||Berthold Viertel|
|Written by||Leslie Arliss
|Narrated by||Leo Genn|
|Music by||Hubert Bath|
|Edited by||Derek Twist|
|Distributed by||Gaumont British Distributors|
|Release date(s)||March 1936|
|Running time||90 minutes|
Rhodes of Africa is a 1936 British biographical film charting the life of Cecil Rhodes. It was directed by Berthold Viertel and starred Walter Huston, Oskar Homolka, Basil Sydney and Bernard Lee.
- Walter Huston - Cecil Rhodes
- Oskar Homolka - Paul Kruger
- Basil Sydney - Doctor Jameson
- Frank Cellier - Barney Barnato
- Peggy Ashcroft - Anna Carpenter
- Renee De Vaux - Mrs Kruger
- Percy Parsons - Hendricks
- Bernard Lee - Cartwright
- Lewis Casson - Reverend Charles Helm
- Ndaniso Kumala -King Lobengula
- Felix Aylmer - Johannesburg Diplomat
- Glennis Lorimer - Cartwright's Fiancée
- Diana De Vaux - Sara
- Miles Malleson - Minor role
Oskar Homolka won 8th best performance of the year for his portrayal of Paul Kruger in Rhodes.
- "BFI | Film & TV Database | RHODES OF AFRICA (1936)". Ftvdb.bfi.org.uk. 16 April 2009. Retrieved 2 September 2010.
- "BEST FILM PERFORMANCE LAST YEAR.". Examiner (Launceston, Tas. : 1900 - 1954) (Launceston, Tas.: National Library of Australia). 9 July 1937. p. 8 Edition: LATE NEWS EDITION and DAILY. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
3. Codell, Julie, "Imperial Masculinity, Mimicry and the New Woman in Rhodes of Africa," Art and the British Empire. Eds.Barringer, Fordham, and Quilley (Manchester U P, 2007), 254-66.
|This article about a biographical film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a British film of the 1930s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|