Rhythm of the Night (song)
|"Rhythm of the Night"|
|Single by DeBarge|
|from the album Rhythm of the Night|
|Released||March 23, 1985 (U.S.)
November 30, 1985 (UK)
|DeBarge singles chronology|
"Rhythm of the Night" is a 1985 hit single recorded by the American R&B band DeBarge and written by Diane Warren. The song is said to have jump-started the career of songwriter Diane Warren and was the biggest hit recorded by the Motown family singing group.
By 1985, DeBarge had become pop/R&B sensations with mostly ballads making the repertoire of their hit catalog though they were as impressive as live performers with their mixture of their trademark soft ballads and a collection of dance material. Motown Records sought to produce DeBarge with a dance single to give them a bigger crossover success that mirrored that of label-mate Lionel Richie, who like DeBarge, had created his initial fan base on soft songs before the release of "All Night Long", which included a catchy dance beat influenced by calypso. A similar influence would come in the production of "Rhythm of the Night" which featured more of El DeBarge's deep tenor with flashes of his trademark falsetto. Richard Perry, the hit producer behind hit recordings for The Pointer Sisters and other artists, was appointed to produce the single with Diane Warren as its writer.
The release of "Rhythm of the Night" coincided with the release of the Motown film The Last Dragon, which featured the song as part of its soundtrack. The free publicity from the song on its soundtrack and in the movie itself helped boost its popularity. Eventually released as a single, the song produced DeBarge's biggest success yet with the single reaching number three on the Billboard Hot 100, number one on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart,. number one on the US adult contemporary chart, and number four in the UK singles chart - their only major hit single in the UK - going gold and boosting similar success for its parent album of the same name. The group's music video of the song gained the group heavy rotation on MTV and BET and was actually the group's first and last real music video starting a brief period where DeBarge became pop superstars.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||9|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||7|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||3|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||19|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||4|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||3|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||24|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||4|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||3|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||1|
- Lead vocals by El DeBarge
- Background vocals and spoken monologues by DeBarge
- Produced by Richard Perry
- In 1993, Italian pop dance band Corona had a world-wide hit with its debut single, a Italo-dance version of the song.
- In 1997, a cover version by English boy band 911 was included on their debut album The Journey.
- A cover performed by Valeria Andrews appears on the 2001 film Moulin Rouge! soundtrack with lyric alternations.
- Australian pop singer Kylie Minogue performed the chorus of this song as a medley with her own hit "In Your Eyes" on the KylieFever2002 tour.
- List of number-one R&B singles of 1985 (U.S.)
- List of number-one adult contemporary singles of 1985 (U.S.)
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 150.
- "Ultratop.be – Debarge – Rhythm of the Night" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- Canadian peak
- "Lescharts.com – Debarge – Rhythm of the Night" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Irish Singles Chart – Search for song". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Debarge search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Debarge – Rhythm of the Night". Top 40 Singles.
- "Debarge – Rhythm of the Night – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.