|Commenced operations||4 January 2011 (after ceasing operation because of financial crisis)|
|Hubs||Sultan Syarif Qasim II International Airport|
Riau Airlines was an airline based in Pekanbaru in the Indonesian province of Riau, Sumatra. It operated domestic and international services out of Sultan Syarif Qasim II International Airport, Pekanbaru. Riau Airlines was listed in category 1[specify] by Indonesian Civil Aviation Authority for airline safety.
Riau Airlines was established on 12 March 2002 and started operations in December of the same year. It was the only one of Indonesia's commercial airlines headquartered outside of Jakarta, the Indonesian capital, and also the only commercial airline owned by a local government. It was majority-owned by the Provincial Government of Riau and some other provinces such as Lampung, Bangka Belitung and Bengkulu, as well as some cities and Regencies in Sumatera.
Riau Airlines was originally formed to connect cities within Riau, however it expanded towards linking all major cities on Sumatra island, as well as serving Borneo island, Bali, and Kupang in Central Indonesia.
In 2008, the airline was temporarily shut down.
On July 12, 2012, the Medan Commercial Court declared Riau Airlines bankrupt and that the airline would cease operations.
This decision was preceded by a order issued on April 1, 2012 by the Indonesian Ministry of Transport that revoked the airline's Air Operating Certificate after operations ceased last year.
Air Riau served the following destinations after opened again January 2011:
- Natuna - Ranai Airport
- Pekanbaru - Sultan Syarif Qasim II International Airport Hub
- Tanjung Pinang - Kijang Airport
- Jakarta - Soekarno Hatta International Airport
- Medan - Polonia Airport
- Batam - Hang Nadim Airport
- Yogyakarta - Adisucipto International Airport
- Semarang - Achmad Yani Airport
- Labuan Bajo - Komodo Airport
- Denpasar/Bali - Ngurah Rai International Airport
- Lombok - Lombok International Airport
- Kupang - El Tari Airport
- Pontianak - Supadio Airport
As of January 2011 the Riau Airlines fleet consisted of a leased Boeing 737-500 from PT.ANI (Aero Nusantara Indonesia). It was to lease a 737-300 by the end of the month when operations ceased.
Note: two of the eight Fokker 50s were repossessed by their lessors due to late payment by the airline (The airline suffered financial crisis since 2010)
- Flight International 12–18 April 2005
- Riau Airlines at airlineupdate.com
- "Diputus Pailit, Riau Air Anggap Itu belum Final". July 17, 2012.
- Afrilia Suryanis (2012). "Riau Airlines Sudah Ditutup dan Dicabut Izinnya" (in Indonesian). Tempo. Retrieved 2013-02-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Riau Airlines.|