Ribbleton railway station
|Fulwood / Ribbleton|
|The former station building in 2007|
|Place||Gamull Lane, Ribbleton|
|Original company||Preston and Longridge Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway/London and North Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
|1854||Opened as Gammer Lane|
|31 May 1930||Closed|
|1980||Line closed; tracks and bridge removed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Fulwood / Ribbleton Station
|Old OS Maps (estimated 1925 to 1945)|
|NPE Maps (1947-48)|
|Vision of Britain|
|OS 1:2500 Map on MARIO (about 1893)|
|OS 1:10000 Map on MARIO (about 1847)|
When the station opened in 1854 it was at first called Gammer Lane (which appears to be a misspelling of Gamull Lane, on which the station was located). Two years later, the line was bought by the Fleetwood, Preston and West Riding Junction Railway and the station was renamed Fulwood Station.
Between 1863 and 1866 there was another short-lived station called Ribbleton, closer to Preston. It was not until 1900 that Fulwood Station was finally renamed Ribbleton Station. The station closed to passengers, along with the line, in 1930.
The line through the station continued to be used for goods trains until 1980. After closure the Gamull Lane bridge over the line was removed. The station building still stands, as a private house with the former trackbed through its garden. The route on either side is now a combined cycle path and footpath.
- Suggitt, p.50; Biddle, pl.43
- Biddle, G. (1989) The Railways Around Preston—A Historical Review, Scenes from the past, 6, Foxline Publishing, ISBN 1-870119-05-3
- Suggitt, G. (2003, revised 2004) Lost Railways of Lancashire, Countryside Books, Newbury, ISBN 1-85306-801-2, pp.50, 51 & 55.
- Potter, T. (1993), Reflections on Preston, Sigma Leisure, Wilmslow, ISBN 1-85058-387-0, p.46.
- Preston to Longridge Disused Railway, Lancashire County Council website, accessed 15 June 2007
- Preston Station Past and Present — page specifically covering the Longridge Line
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Preston and Longridge Railway
|L&YR / L&NWR joint
Fleetwood, Preston and West Riding Junction Railway
|This article on a railway station in North West England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|