Location of Riceville, Iowa
|• Total||1.11 sq mi (2.87 km2)|
|• Land||1.10 sq mi (2.85 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2)|
|Elevation||1,230 ft (375 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||502|
|• Density||713.6/sq mi (275.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0460608|
Riceville is located at (43.362493, -92.553461).
|Source:"American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. and Iowa Data Center|
As of the census of 2010, there were 785 people, 298 households, and 166 families residing in the city. The population density was 713.6 inhabitants per square mile (275.5/km2). There were 379 housing units at an average density of 353.6 per square mile (136.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.7% White, 0.1% Native American, 0.8% from other races, and 1.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.2% of the population.
There were 341 households of which 25.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.4% were married couples living together, 8.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 38.7% were non-families. 36.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.22 and the average family size was 2.84.
The median age in the city was 45.7 years. 21.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.3% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 19.3% were from 25 to 44; 25.8% were from 45 to 64; and 25.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.9% male and 52.1% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 840 people, 369 households, and 225 families residing in the city. The population density was 765.8 people per square mile (294.8/km²). There were 401 housing units at an average density of 365.6 per square mile (140.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 99.88% White, and 0.12% from two or more races.
There were 325 households out of which 23.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.7% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.0% were non-families. 35.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.18 and the average family size was 2.80.
In the city the population was spread out with 21.8% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 21.1% from 25 to 44, 21.5% from 45 to 64, and 28.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 90.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $30,982, and the median income for a family was $41,786. Males had a median income of $29,091 versus $19,904 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,661. About 4.7% of families and 4.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.8% of those under age 18 and 8.0% of those age 65 or over.
- One of the most famous citizens of Riceville has been Jane Elliott, an elementary school teacher who developed a famous and controversial exercise about the nature of prejudice and racism in the wake of the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Riceville is also the home of the only brothers to become career Foreign Service ambassadors of the State Department: John and Larry Dinger. John is no longer an ambassador and presently serves as the Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary in the Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR). Larry is the current US chargé d'affaires at the consulate in Burma.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Clyde, Jefferson F. (1918). History of Mitchell and Worth Counties, Iowa, Volume 1. S.J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 177.
- Fairbairn, Robert Herd (1919). History of Chickasaw and Howard Counties, Iowa, Volume 1. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 428.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Riceville, Iowa.|
- City-Data Comprehensive statistical data and more about Riceville