Life and career 
Lowry was born in Arlington, Virginia, and, in 1990, graduated from the University of Virginia, where he won second place in National Review's Young Writer's Contest. He joined William F. Buckley's National Review in 1992 and has been the magazine's editor since 1997. He regularly appears on the Fox News Channel. He has guest-hosted on Hannity and Colmes and Fox & Friends, and is a guest panelist on PBS's The McLaughlin Group, Fox News Watch, and NBC's Meet the Press.
In 2002, Muslim organizations called for Lowry to apologize, after he posted a message on National Review Online's blog, "The Corner", discussing the "nuking" of Mecca, as retaliation for a terrorist attack.
His New York Times best-selling book, Legacy: Paying the Price for the Clinton Years is a polemic about President Bill Clinton, whom he deprecates as "Navel-Gazer-in-Chief." He also has a syndicated column with King Features. He once served as a guest on The Colbert Report.
Most recently, Lowry and Keith Korman wrote Banquo's Ghosts, a fiction novel published by Vanguard Press in 2009. The political thriller's plot revolves around a nuclear-armed Iran and an inebriated leftist journalist.
Following the 2008 Vice Presidential debate between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin, Lowry gained some publicity and was selected as then-MSNBC commentator Keith Olbermann's Worst Person in the World for writing: "A very wise TV executive once told me that the key to TV is projecting through the screen. It's one of the keys to the success of, say, a Bill O'Reilly, who comes through the screen and grabs you by the throat. Palin too projects through the screen like crazy. I'm sure I'm not the only male in America who, when Palin dropped her first wink, sat up a little straighter on the couch and said, 'Hey, I think she just winked at me.' And her smile. By the end, when she clearly knew she was doing well, it was so sparkling it was almost mesmerizing. It sent little starbursts through the screen and ricocheting around the living rooms of America. This is a quality that can't be learned; it's either something you have or you don't, and man, she's got it."
- National Review Changing Editor. The New York Times. 5 Nov. 1997.
-  National Review Online August 22, 2000.
- National Review Editor Suggests "Nuking Mecca" CounterPunch
- The Corner, National Review Online
- That's Rich The American Prospect
- Lowry, Richard (2003). Legacy: Paying the Price for the Clinton Years. New York: Regnery Publishing. ISBN 0-89526-129-4.
- Lowry. Legacy. p. 2.
- Taylor, Art. Spy vs. Spy: Two Nuclear Iran Thrillers. The Washington Post. 26 May 2009.
- Blum, William. The Anti-Empire Report. Foreign Policy Journal. 8 June 2009.
- The Campaign Against Mukasey, RealClearPolitics
- Mukasey Questioned on Torture, Clinton Attacked by Opposition. PBS NewsHour. November 2, 2007]
- Lowry, Rich. Circumstances Matter. National Review. 2 Nov 2007.
- Because I Said So
- NR's Rich Lowry: Palin "Sent Little Starbursts Through The Screen"
- Palin's Little Starbursts
- Rich Lowry In Love
- Olbermann, Keith (October 3, 2008). "'Countdown with Keith Olbermann' for Friday September 3, 2008 (sic) (actually October 3)". MSNBC. Retrieved May 3, 2009.
- Olbermann, Keith (October 3, 2008) (streaming). Lowry's debate review or soft core porn? (News commentary program). New York, NY: MSNBC. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27015683#27015683. Retrieved May 3, 2009.
- National Review biography
- National Review Columns
- Columns at TownHall.com
- Video discussion/debate with Lowry and Michael Tomasky on Bloggingheads.tv
- Rich Lowry on Charlie Rose
- Booknotes interview with Lowry on Legacy: Paying the Price for the Clinton Years, November 9, 2003.