Richard, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
The Prince in Stockholm at Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden's wedding celebrations, June 2010
|Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg|
|Predecessor||Prince Gustav Albrecht|
|Heir apparent||Prince Gustav|
|Spouse||Princess Benedikte of Denmark|
|Father||Gustav Albrecht, 5th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg|
|Mother||Margareta Fouché d'Otrante|
29 October 1934 |
Richard Casimir Karl August Robert Konstantin, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (born 29 October 1934 in Giessen, Germany) is the head of the House of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and husband of Princess Benedikte of Denmark.
Richard Casimir Karl August Robert Konstantin is the eldest son of Gustav Albrecht, 5th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, a highly decorated Nazi officer declared missing in 1944 yet only legally declared dead in 1969. Richard was raised in Sweden with his maternal grandfather, the Duke of Otrante, at Elghammar Castle. He attended the boarding schools Viggbyholm and Sigtuna.
Having studied forest science at Munich University, Prince Richard obtained his forestry diploma at the University of Göttingen in Hann.-Münden. He took his post-graduate training as Forstreferendar, obtaining a degree as Assessor des Forstdienstes after passing the second forestry examination at the North Rhine Westphalian State Forestry Service.
Prince Richard is involved in several conservation programmes. He launched a project to re-introduce European bison into Europe on part of his 30,000 acre estate in North Rhine-Westphalia, credited as a success by Rewilding Europe as part of a larger effort to restore depleted animals across Europe.
Richard married Princess Benedikte of Denmark at Fredensborg Palace Church on 3 February 1968. She is the second daughter of Frederick IX of Denmark and Ingrid of Sweden and younger sister of Margrethe II of Denmark. The couple lives at Berleburg Castle.
Children and grandchildren
- Gustav, Hereditary Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (born 12 January 1969)
- Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (born 20 November 1970). On 6 June 1998 at Gråsten Palace, she was married to Count Jefferson von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth. The couple has two children:
- Count Friedrich Richard Oscar Jefferson von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth (born 14 September 1999).
- Countess Ingrid Alexandra Irma Astrid Benedikte von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth (born 16 August 2003).
- Princess Nathalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (born 2 May 1975). On 27 May 2010, she was married to Alexander Johannsmann. The couple has one child:
- Konstantin Gustav Heinrich Richard Johannsmann (born 24 July 2010).
Titles, styles and honours
Prince Richard, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
|Reference style||His Serene Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Serene Highness|
- 29 October 1934 - 29 November 1969: His Serene Highness Hereditary Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
- 29 November 1969 - Present: His Serene Highness Richard, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
- National Honours
- Germany: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany, 1st Class
- Denmark: Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of the Elephant(R.E.)
- Denmark: Official Commemoration Medal of the Ruby Jubilee Order of Queen Margrethe II
- Denmark: Commemorative Medal of the Ruby Jubilee Order of Queen Margrethe II
- Denmark: Commemorative Medal of the 70th Birthday Order of Queen Margrethe II
- Denmark: Commemorative Medal of the Silver Jubilee Order of Queen Margrethe II
- Foreign Honours
- Sweden : Commander Grand Cross of the Order of the Polar Star
- Spain: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic
- "Unasylva - No. 88 - News of the world". Fao.org. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "iEuropa – News > Infos concernant iEuropa". Ifrance.com. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- http://www.boe.es/boe/dias/1980/04/24/pdfs/A08890-08890.pdf Boletín Oficial del Estado
Richard, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-BerleburgBorn: 1934
|Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg||Incumbent