Richard A. Brualdi
September 2, 1939 |
Derby, Connecticut, USA
|Institutions||University of Wisconsin - Madison|
|Alma mater||Syracuse University|
|Notable students||Jia-yu Shao, Bryan Shader, T.S. Michael, John Goldwasser|
|Known for||graph theory|
|Notable awards||Euler Medal (2000), International Linear Algebra (ILAS) Hans Schneider Prize (2006)|
Brualdi received his Ph.D. from Syracuse University in 1964; his advisor was H. J. Ryser. Brualdi is an Editor-in-Chief of the Electronic Journal of Combinatorics. He has over 200 publications in several mathematical journals. According to current on-line database of Mathematics Genealogy Project, Richard Brualdi has 37 Ph.D. students and 48 academic descendants.
He received the Euler medal from the Institute of Combinatorics and its Applications in 2000. In 2012 he was elected a fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. In 2012 he became an inaugural fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- (with Herbert J. Ryser) Combinatorial Matrix Theory, Cambridge Univ. Press
- Richard A. Brualdi, Introductory Combinatorics, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, N.J.
- V. Pless, R. A. Brualdi, and W. C. Huffman, Handbook of Coding Theory, Elsevier Science, New York, 1998
- Brualdi, Richard A. (2006). Combinatorial Matrix Classes. Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Its Applications 108. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-86565-4. Zbl 1106.05001.
- Richard A. Brualdi and Dragos Cvetkovic, A Combinatorial Approach to Matrix Theory and Its Applications, CRC Press, Boca Raton Fla., 2009.
- Richard A. Brualdi and Bryan Shader, Matrices of Sign-Solvable Linear Systems, Cambridge Tracts in Mathematics, Vol. 116, Cambridge Univ. Press, 1995.
- Richard A. Brualdi, The Mutually Beneficial Relationship Between Graphs and Matrices, American Mathematical Society, CBMS Series, 2012.
- "On the permanent and maximal characteristic root of a nonnegative matrix". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 17: 1413–1416. 1966. MR 0204444.
- "A very general theorem on systems of distinct representatives". Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 140: 149–160. 1969. MR 0249304.
- "A extension of Banach's mapping theorem". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 20: 520–526. 1969. MR 0236029.
- "Induced matroids". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 29: 213–221. 1971. MR 0289335.
- "Weighted join semilattices and transversal matroids". Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 191: 317–328. 1974. MR 0382039.
- "On fundamental transversal matroids". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 45: 151–156. 1974. MR 0387087.
- "The DAD theorem for arbitrary row sums". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 45: 189–194. 1974. MR 0354737.
- with Jeffrey A. Ross: "Invariant sets for classes of matrices of zeros and ones". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 80: 706–710. 1980. MR 587961.
- with J. Csima: "On the plane term rank of a three dimensional matrix". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 54: 471–473. 1976. MR 0387319.
- with Bo Lian Liu: "Fully indecomposable exponents of primitive matrices". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 112: 1193–1201. 1991. MR 1065941.
- Richard A. Brualdi at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2012-11-10.