Richard (Dick) Allington is an American scholar and researcher at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville where he has been a Professor of Education since 2005. He has authored over 100 research articles and several books. His research interests include reading and learning disabilities, and effective instruction in classroom settings.
He has served as the President of the International Reading Association (IRA), as President of the National Reading Conference, and as a member of the International Reading Association Board of Directors. He is the co-recipient of the Albert J. Harris Award from IRA in recognition of his work contributing to the understanding of reading and learning disabilities and the William S. Gray Citation of Merit for his contributions to the profession. In addition Alligton has been named to the IRA Reading Hall of Fame.
Allington grew up on a dairy farm in rural Michigan. After graduating from Western Michigan University in 1968 with his Elementary Education and Social Science degree, he became a 4th and 5th grade classroom teacher. Experiencing difficulty in dealing with students needing remedial reading instruction, he completed his Master of Arts in Reading degree in 1969, and moved on to become to the Title I Director for Belding Area Schools in Michigan. Although he had plans to eventually become a superintendent, he refocused his attention on academia and research. In 1973 he earned his PhD in Elementary and Special Education from Michigan State University and has since achieved a scholarly career in the fields of literacy and education. He is married to  Dr. Anne McGill-Franzen, Professor of Reading Education at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
- 1969–1973, Ph.D., Michigan State University, Elementary and Special Education
- 1968–1969, M.A., Western Michigan University, Reading Education
- 1965–1968, B.A., Western Michigan University, Social Science/Elementary Education
Allington is currently a Professor of Education at the University of Tennessee beginning in 2005.
- 2000–2004, Fien Distinguished Professor of Education, University of Florida
- 1995–1999, Chair, Department of Reading & Senior Research Scientist National Research Center for English Learning and Achievement University at Albany
- 1989–1999, Professor, Teaching and Research, University at Albany
- 1987–1989, Director, Center for Teaching Effectiveness, State University of New York at Albany,
- 1982–1988, Chair, Department of Reading, State University of New York at Albany
- 1981, Visiting Professor/Teaching, Eastern Montana College
- 1978–1981, Associate Professor/Teaching and Research, State University of New York at Albany
- 1976, Visiting Professor/Teaching, University of Minnesota
- 1973–1978, Assistant Professor/Teaching and Research, State University of New York at Albany
- 1971–1973, Graduate Assistant and Lecturer, Michigan State
- 1969–1972, Title I Director/reading teacher, Belding Area Schools, MI
- 1968–1969, Classroom Teacher, Grade 4/5, Kent City Schools, MI
Awards and honors
- Manning Literacy Award for contributions to the profession, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2010.
- William S. Gray Citation of Merit, International Reading Association, 2007.
- A. B. Herr Award, College Reading Association, 2001.
- Reading Hall of Fame, elected to membership, 1995; President, 2000.
- Johnston Literacy Lectureship Award, Center for Literacy and Disability, UNC-Chapel Hill, 1997.
- Distinguished Reading Educator Award, New York State Reading Association, 1992.
- Albert J. Harris Award, International Reading Association, 1990, co-recipient.
- Elva Knight Research Award, International Reading Association, 1984.
- Celebrate Literacy Award, Michigan Reading Association, 1984.
- Outstanding Dissertation Award, International Reading Association, 1974.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2012)|
Allington, Richard, L. Response to Intervention: Research-Based Designs, PearsonAllynBacon, (2008)
Allington, Richard, L. What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs, PearsonAllynBacon, (2012).
Allington, Richard L. & McGill-Franzen,Anne M. Summer reading: Closing the rich/poor reading achievement gap. Teachers College Press, (2013)
McGill-Franzen, Anne M. & Allington, Richard L. "Handbook of reading disabilities research, Routledge, (2010)
Roadblocks to Reading: An Interview with Richard Allington. Education Week. Editorial Projects in Education 6935 Arlington Road, Bethesda MD 20814 301-280-3100 1-800-346-1843 June 5, 2012.
Allington, Richard, L. and Gabriel, Rachael, E..Every Child, Every Day. Educational Leadership. Vol 69, No 6. March 2012