Richard Atkinson (bishop)
|The Rt Revd
|Bishop of Bedford|
|Diocese||Diocese of St Albans|
|In office||May 2012–present|
|Other posts||Archdeacon of Leicester
|Consecration||17 May 2012|
|Born||17 December 1958|
|Residence||Bishop's Lodge, Cardington, Bedford|
|Alma mater||Magdalene College, Cambridge|
Richard William Bryant Atkinson OBE (born 17 December 1958) was the Archdeacon of Leicester between 2002 and 2012. He is the current Bishop of Bedford in the Diocese of St Albans, serving the churches of the Bedford Archdeaconry. He succeeded The Right Revd Richard Inwood who retired to the Diocese of Derby.
Atkinson was consecrated by the former Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, in St Paul's Cathedral on Ascension Day 2012.
A Service of Welcome for Bishop Richard took place at St Paul's Church, Bedford on Saturday 19th May 2012 where Atkinson preached his first sermon.
Atkinson was educated at St Paul's School, London, Magdalene College, Cambridge and Ripon College Cuddesdon. He was ordained in 1985 and was a curate in Abingdon. After this he held incumbencies in Sheffield and Rotherham.
- Richard Atkinson Esq (1958–1985)
- The Revd Richard Atkinson (c1985–2002)
- The Ven Richard Atkinson (2002–2012)
- The Rt Revd Richard Atkinson (2012–present)
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 2008/2009 (100th edition), Church House Publishing (ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0).
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
|This biography of a United Kingdom religious figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|