|Richard Wayne Bandler|
February 24, 1950 |
|Influenced by||John Grinder, Gregory Bateson, Milton H. Erickson, Fritz Perls, Virginia Satir|
Richard Wayne Bandler (born February 24, 1950) is an American author and trainer in the field of self-help. He is best known as the co-creator (with John Grinder) of Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP), a methodology intended to understand and change human behavior-patterns. He also developed other systems named Design Human Engineering (DHE) and Neuro Hypnotic Repatterning (NHR).
Education and background 
Bandler holds a BA (1973) in philosophy and psychology from the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) and an MA (1975) in psychology from Lone Mountain College in San Francisco. He has referred to himself as having a doctorate, such as in April 2000 at a seminar in Konstanz, Germany, and as testified in court in 2000.
Co-founding of Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) 
Bandler helped Robert Spitzer edit The Gestalt Approach (1973) based on a manuscript by gestalt therapist Fritz Perls (who had died in 1970). He also assisted with checking transcripts for Eye Witness to Therapy (1973). According to Spitzer, "[Bandler] came out of it talking and acting like Fritz Perls."
While a student at University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) Bandler also led a Gestalt therapy group. John Grinder, a professor at the University, said to Bandler that he could explain almost all of the questions and comments Bandler made using transformational grammar, Grinder's specialty in linguistics. They developed a model for therapy and called it the Meta-Model. This was the basis for their first book, The Structure of Magic (1975).
Bandler rented accommodation to Gregory Bateson. Bateson taught at UCSC, Kresge College as did Grinder, and had moved to a community on Alba Road near the Santa Cruz mountains community of Ben Lomond. Lomond would have a profound influence on Bandler's future, introducing him and Grinder to Milton Erickson; together, the three of them formed some of the foundational models for Neuro-linguistic programming. In 1975 Bandler formed his own company, Meta Publications, and released Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson Volume I (1975).
Bandler and Grinder went on to author The Structure of Magic Volume II (1976), Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson Volume II (1977) and Changing With Families (1976), the latter of which was co-authored with Virginia Satir herself.
Bandler made a study of Moshe Feldenkrais, an Israeli physicist, martial artist and founder of the Feldenkrais school of body work, and published Feldenkrais's book, The Elusive Obvious. Bandler's classes have included components of bodywork that he studied from Feldenkrais.
Since that time, Bandler's career has focused on developing and presenting NLP and related concepts as an author, publisher, public speaker and consultant. Audiences include individuals seeking life improvement and businesses using these concepts and techniques to improve sales.
Corine Christensen case 
On November 3, 1986 Corine Christensen, a student of Bandler's, was shot dead in her townhouse with a .357 magnum owned by Bandler. He was charged with her murder. Bandler testified that he had been at Christensen's house and was unable to stop another man from shooting her in the face. He was acquitted after five and a half hours of deliberation. Her death remains unsolved.
Other works 
Since the early 1980s when Grinder and Bandler stopped working together, Bandler has developed several trademarked techniques which he calls Design Human Engineering, and Neuro-Hypnotic Repatterning. Bandler says that these technologies differ significantly from NLP, claiming that they are more direct and effective as interventions. Other works since that time include Using Your Brain for a Change (1985), Magic in Action (1992) Time for a Change (1995), Persuasion Engineering (1996) (co-author John LaValle) The Adventures of Anybody (1993), and Conversations (2005) (co-author Owen Fitzpatrick). As of 2011[update] Richard Bandler continues to deliver seminars in NLP, NHR and DHE throughout the world.
- Bandler, Richard & John Grinder (1975a). The Structure of Magic I: A Book About Language and Therapy. Palo Alto, CA: Science & Behavior Books. ISBN 0-8314-0044-7.
- Bandler, Richard & John Grinder (1975b). The Structure of Magic II: A Book About Communication and Change. Palo Alto, CA: Science & Behavior Books. ISBN 0-8314-0049-8.
- Grinder, John, Richard Bandler (1976). Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D. Volume I. Cupertino, CA :Meta Publications.
- John Grinder, Richard Bandler, Judith Delozier (1977). Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D. Volume II. Cupertino, CA :Meta Publications.
- John Grinder, Richard Bandler (1979). Frogs into Princes: Neuro Linguistic Programming. Moab, UT: Real People Press. pp. 194pp. ISBN 0-911226-19-2.
- Grinder, John; Richard Bandler; Connirae Andreas (Ed.) (1981). Trance-Formations: Neuro-Linguistic Programming and the Structure of Hypnosis. Moab, UT: Real People Press. ISBN 0-911226-23-0.
- Grinder, John and Richard Bandler (1983). Reframing: Neurolinguistic programming and the transformation of meaning. Moab, UT: Real People Press. pp. –. ISBN 0-911226-25-7.
- Using Your Brain for a Change, 1985 (ISBN 0-911226-27-3)
- Magic in Action, 1992 (ISBN 0-916990-14-1)
- Time for a Change, 1993 (ISBN 0-916990-28-1)
- Richard Bandler (1993). The Adventures of Anybody. Meta Publications. pp. 96pp. ISBN 091699029X.
- Richard Bandler, John La Valle (1996). Persuasion Engineering. Meta Publications. pp. 230pp. ISBN 978-0916990367.
- Richard Bandler (August 21, 2008). Get The Life You Want: The Secrets to Quick and Lasting Life Change with Neuro-Linguistic Programming. HCi. pp. –229. ISBN 978-0-7573-0776-8.
- Richard Bandler (2008). Richard Bandler's Guide to Trance-formation: How to harness the power of hypnosis to ignite effortless and lasting change (published in UK as Make Your Life Great). HCi. p. 284. ISBN 978-0757307775.
- Richard Bandler, Owen Fitzpatrick (2009). Conversations with Richard Bandler: Two NLP Masters Reveal the Secrets to Successful Living (Freedom Is Everything and Love Is All the Rest). Ealth Communications. pp. 354pp. ISBN 0-9551353-0-3.
- Richard Bandler, Garner Thomson (2011). The Secrets of Being Happy: The Technology of Hope, Health, and Harmony. IM Press. pp. 256pp. ISBN 978-0982780404.
- Richard Bandler, Alessio Roberti, Owen Fitzpatrick (2013). The Ultimate Introduction to NLP: How to build a successful life. HarperCollins. pp. 160pp. ISBN 978-0007497416.
Audio publications 
- 2001 – Self Esteem – Rhythm Trance, This CD has a hypnotic trance and music.
- 2001 – Time Out of Your Mind (Time Distortion), This is excerpted from Design Human Engineering held in Orlando in 2001.
- 2001 – Adventures in Multiple Timelines,
- 2003 – Propulsion Systems, Learn how to install strategies so that the more one tries to go back, the more one moves forward.
- 2000 – DHE2000, Design human engineering workshop with John La Valle @ NLP Seminars Group International in Orlando, Florida.
- 2000's – "Your Own Personal Genius" – a UK seminar
Video publications 
Some videos have no mention of date on them.
Videos with Richard Bandler in them.
- The Marshall University Tapes, Filmed circa 1982, Richard has spoken about these 3 sessions in many of his seminars. 1. Anticipatory Loss 2. Authority Figures 3. Phobic Response
- Personal Outcomes, filmed at NLP Comprehensive.
- Patterns of Intimacy, Flirtation, class on how to flirt.
- Client Sessions, Shyness,
- Creating Therapeutic Change, taped in Boulder, Colorado – 7 videos: Layering Responses, Propulsion systems, Attitudes, Perceptual Grids, Nonverbal Amplifications, Playing with Problems, & Weaving Complexes;
- Bandler in Montreal, workshop in Montreal.
- An Evening with Richard Bandler – State of the Art, taped in England.
- Bandler down under, doing a workshop in Australia.
- Konstanz 2000, workshop in Konstanz, Germany, Richard shares his latest developments and refinements, stories and inductions, an introduction to NLP-DHE-NHR.
- Welcome to Reality, workshop in Ascona, Switzerland, What strategies does Richard Bandler use to be able to talk for hours? . . . with no notes . . . and with people carefully listening?
- Ascona, Bandler strategies, seminar in Ascona, Switzerland.
- The Art and Science of Nested Loops, seminar in Orlando, Florida.
- Trancing in and out, takes the class through different trances & demonstrations, seminar in Zurich, Switzerland
- How to Live a Happy Life, 30 Years of NLP,
- Persuasion Engineering, With John Lavalle.
- It's About Time (Time Distortion), Richard Bandler from a 'Charisma Enhancement' seminar in Orlando Florida
- The Bandler Effect, Bandler wearing a suit. 5 DVDs – Confidence, Creativity, Motivation, Health, & Changing Habits;
- The Class of a Master, 4 DVDs – Instant Talent, Inner Beauty, Rapid Hypnotic Inductions, & Fantastic Futures;
- Experimental Hypnosis, From a seminar held in Zurich, Switzerland. Here he decides to actually experiment with deeper forms of direct hypnosis and all the participants in the group were in a way test subjects.
- Neuro-Hypnotic Repatterning, Introduction to NHR with a demonstration of the "handshake interrupt" hypnosis induction on four different participants.
- An Evening With Richard Bandler: Introduction to NLP from THE UKCO, filmed in front of a live audience, with examples of his remedial work.
- Face to Face with Richard Bandler and Paul Ross from THE UKCO, a live audience asks Richard questions regarding psychology, education, relationships etc.
- The Secrets of Success DVD Box Set from THE UKCO, Richard models the secrets of success featuring: Chef Aldo Zilli, Olympic Gold medal-winner Iwan Thomas, businessman Andrew Morris and actor, Christopher Ellison.
- Spitzer, R. (1992) Virginia Satir and the Origins of NLP, Anchor Point, 6(7)
- The Gestalt Approach and Eye Witness to Therapy (1973) ISBN 0-8314-0034-X
- John Grinder & Carmen Bostic St. Clair, (2001) Whispering in the Wind. C&J Enterprises.
- The Bandler Method Mother Jones. 1989. Retrieved via american-buddha.com, January 10, 2013.
- Psychotherapist Not Guilty In Prostitute's Murder, Jury Finds. Los Angeles Times. January 29, 1988.
- See NLP Life Training
DHE and NHR 
Video clips 
- What is NLP Interview with Richard Bandler in London